• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Herters Decoys

Just ordered a dozen herters mallards, since they dont have the standard keel, I was wondering how you guys who use them wrap the anchor line. Do you just wrap it around the decoy or do you rig them up in a Texas rig I think it's called?

Guys I hunt with have a bunch of herters and it works fine to wrap the line around the body (from head to tail) and put the strap weight around the neck. They are actually faster to put out because you can take the weight off the neck, point the butt of the decoy away from you and sidearm the weight out into the water and all the line zips off the body of the decoy. No manual unwinding. They always have had the nylon cord, not sure if it would work as well with the PVC cord. I want to get some Herter's just so I can put them out that way, but I need to wait for some of my others to bite the dust.

The PVC stuff works pretty well also. We used cheap decoy string years back and when it dried it shrunk up and dug into the herters dekes pretty good. I don't think it bugged the ducks much though. I'm also a fan of the 63's more than the biggies - I think they ride a bit better in the waves.

The PVC stuff works pretty well also. We used cheap decoy string years back and when it dried it shrunk up and dug into the herters dekes pretty good. I don't think it bugged the ducks much though. I'm also a fan of the 63's more than the biggies - I think they ride a bit better in the waves.

Thats one thing I learned the hard way. I got a couple of dozen old style from a friends grandpa and put them away wet for the year. I pulled them out to do some touch up and found the string had dried and had cut into them.

A good reminder to always put the decs. away dry.

Sifty