• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bravada front end

Howdy doo, I have a 2000 Olds Bravada (I hate this rig) with the smartrack AWD. While turning it feels as if the front end is locked in, and from the looks of the tire wear I'd say it's been happening for a while now. I'm assuming (assumptions are dangerous) that the front differential is supposed to kick in and out as needed. It really feels like it's always engaged. While turning a corner the front end skips just like my mid 80's 4wd truck when it's in 4wd.

Any ideas where to start looking??? I'm not very familiar with the AWD systems.

Since you brought that your tires are bad, if you have the wrong size tire on, or if the tire pressure is incorrect it can cause false activation of the 4wd, different tire circumfrences. You can try changing transfer case fluid, this may help. Has the tranny or transfer case been removed recently? The speed sensor connectors on the transfer case can be installed on the wrong sensors and it would cause this as well

If its a blazer, bravada, or envoy the tires are supposed to look like that. All chopped up and the inside treads are worn out right?

Replace all the loose front end parts, replace the shocks, 4 tires and an alignment and the new tires will look like that after about 30K because all the parts you replaced and some you didn't are worn out.

When these come in all we have to do is right down the basic package which consists of lower ball joints, oil cooler lines, front axle seals (especially the right side). The deluxe package which includes the above, upper ball joints and an idler arm. The premium package which includes all of the above and lower intake manifold gaskets. grin

I had a 98 Bravada and always heard this extremely loud SNAP! whenever I backed out of parking spot.

Tires Plus couldn't find any issue, but I knew that it wasn't right, so I did some research on the Bravada Front Ends.....yikes crazy.

I didn't keep the vehicle much longer than that.

I have the shop record for most expensive front end repair on one of those. The owner let the ball joints go until the driver side broke. The knuckle and lower control arm had been grinding into each other and where severely worn from this. When the joint broke it took out the drive axle. Every other front end part was worn out bad and it needed a brake job.

Knuckle, lower control arm, 1 lower ball joint, 2 upper ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, sleeves, drag link, pitman arm, idler arm, tires, wheel bearing, 1 wheel, alignment front brakes and rotors and some other minor repairs came to over $3000. grin

Actually, the pucker factor doesn't bother me anymore. I fix multi million dollar machines for a living so I understand thing break, and things like the wifes Bravada are lemons.

However, I can always pretend to be in the garage working on it, while drinking PBR. grin

I like GM cars and trucks but I just couldn't afford to keep fixing the same problems over and over. I switched over to Fords. I doubt that they're any better but a least I can deal with a new set of problems now. Should be okay at least til the warranties run out.