• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

favorite crappie jig

midwesthunter

Am I the only one who uses a small plain hook? So many people use jigs with minnows and have success, but I never use a jig if I am using minnows. I feel like the minnow has way more action and lives longer when on a bare hook, and looks more realistic. I use many jigs, tipped with euro's if anything, but not for minnows. I like the minnow to be able to swim around instead of wiggle in one place on a jig.

I hook them in the back, behind the fin just like I do the sucker minnows on tip-ups. A TINY hook is a must to allow the minnow to swim freely and to be able to get the hook into the dark part of the back so the minnow lives long. From my experience I catch quite a few more than the others in my house that are using a jig with their minows, most the time that is, there is the occation where a glow jig will outfish the plain hook, but when thats the case I use jig and euros. I feel it gives me a better chance at a slab that has probably seen many a jigs in its day, but can be fooled with the real thing, maybe a jigs attracts more and will give you more numbers at times, but I fish strictly for the bigguns.

if i had one jig to use on crappies all winter it would definatley be the northland forage minnow spoon. they work best in my opinon with the red color and just a crappie minnow head hooked through the lips, just wiggle your rod tip enough to get that minnow head dancing, if they don't hit that then move laugh.

true story me and my grandpa were fishing medicine lake one winter and we were on top of a solid group (10 feet cloud) of crappies, they were the tightest lipped fish i ever saw, usually a group like that would give up a few here and there, not even wax worms were working, its been about 30 minutes and i have thrown everything at these fish still nothing, i try the northland spoon and right when it hits the school bam! we left about 30 minutes later with about 10 8"-10" fish, we caught tons of the 6-7 inchers and a few 12's. now i always have one on my rod at all times, favorite walleye bait too.