• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

03 Taurus Brakes/Rotors

Hi- I am considering replacing the front pads/rotors on our 03 taurus-especially after the enormous quotes I have gotten from a few shops to do it. I am not hardware hank. How difficult is it and is it feasible for me to do it. Quotes I have got are $450.00-this is just the front pads/rotors...Any advice? Thx. 8-ball.

A set of metric 3/8 drive sockets, a 3/8 breaker bar (might need a 1/2" breaker bar with a 15mm socket for the bracket to knuckle bolts), a torque wrench and possibly a torx socket to remove the bolt that holds the rotor onto the hub if it has one. Don't worry about reinstalling it is used only for vehicle assembly at the factory and the new rotors will likely not have a spot for them.

Have the new rotors turned before you install them. Don't be afraid to spend a little money on the good pads. Wagner thermo quiets and NAPA Adaptive Ones are my two favorites right now.

Torque the lug nuts! This will help reduce the chance of the new rotors.

Hi,

I didn't know how to do this either until I took the car apart, I have an '02. Honestly it took less than an hour to do both sides. The rear brakes are another story... They took about 3 hours. But the front ones are a breeze. Basic tools, I believe a 10mm socket and a 13mm socket, alond with a c-clamp are really all that is needed.