• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Many Poeple Muzzy Hunt in Minnesota

bassNspear

I have been hunting muzzloader season with my Dad and brother since I move to MN in 97'. I use my T.C. Encore 50 cal. for rifle season as well due to the fact there's alot of neighboring hunters in our area I don't care to shoot a high power rifle. I have been shooting black powder since I was a kid with my uncles and cousins, we used to shoot pretty faithfully every Sunday afternoon. It was alot of fun and a great way to spend time with family. It was all traditional guns at that time which added to the fun,in fact I used a 45 cal. Hawken rifle for the 1st two years I hunted in Minnesota until I missed a 12 pointer at 60 yards then It was time to step up to the Encore!! Since then I have bagged 14 deer with it and loved every minute of it!! grin

If I don't tag out with the bow or rifle I'll be going with the muzzle loader. I think the DNR made a mistake getting rid of the all season deer license. Before they were definitely getting my money whether I could use the license or not. This year if I tag out I won't be buying an extra Muzzle loader license.

I really want to get into muzzleloader hunting but its hard the fine the time. Epecially when I hunt as much as possible with the bow and rifle. I am going to get one some day but it might have to wait until the kids are grown and I have some more time. I do get out once or twice late season with the bow so that helps.

I went muzzleloader last year for the first time. I also use my muzzleloader with a scope during the regular seer season. I have not shot a deer yet, but I will keep trying till I do.

It is a fun gun to shoot, just wish I had more time and a place to shoot it more.

I am a happy muzzleloader man, I have had some good success with my optima. I might even use mine this year with a scope on it during slug season. Also during muzzy season, you almost have the woods to yourself, so all those reading don't do it wink

How many people muzzle load?? Too many, I started 16 yrs ago when the DNR didn't let you buy all these licenses. Now its just an extension of the shotgun season. I laugh every yr when I stop at the local sporting goods store 2 days befor the season start and they are selling new smoke poles like crazy. Nothing against nebies, but it takes ALOT more practice to get these guns tuned in. Its still the most rewarding hunting I do. Fresh snow + cold cold weather = great stalking!!

I will be out everyday except for the second weekend. My brother (who muzzy hunts also) is getting married that weekend. I might not go but I am the bestman. I love the quiet time just like bow hunting. I love the gun also.

Froggy

I'll be muzzleloader hunting for the first time this year. I just bought my new gun last night. Going to sight it in this weekend. I'm going to use it for the regular gun season, not just ML season. should be fun.

I started last year somewhat out of a defensive move. For some reason the muzzle loader hunters around me felt that being the "deer season" read "rifle season" was over, they could pretty much hunt where ever they wanted. My property was constantly over run with muzzle loader hunters. Their usual response was "well rifle season is over so we figured it would be ok". What really got me was them shooting little bucks that we let go during the rifle season. Anyway, I now muzzle hunt mostly to roam my property to try and save the small bucks.

I have the last 5 years or so. I agree with the All-Season license I figured I might as well hunt with it. With three separate licenses I may just skip it & bowhunt then too. Kind of depends on how the season's gone & how much time I have. Shot one with the bow & one in WY already so it's not like I'll be hoping to save my season.

I found a good sale on the CVA Buckhorn 209 mag. I know that it's the cheapy one, but I figured I'd try it out and see if I like it before spending too much money. And if I do upgrade my girlfriend has already hinted and wanting it. I got the 777 pellets and some TC 240grain sabots, I figured 2 pellets? going to sight it in on friday. Just wanted to try something different, and it should be more accurate than my smooth bore 12gage.

I use the regular pyrodex pellets, 2 is all I have ever used. Same sabot I shoot nice! Just make sure to seat the bullet all the way down, a lot of guys will put a mark on there ramarod to know when it is all the way in. Sometimes after a few shots you think you are all the way in but not according to the mark.