• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it to late for a new roof ?

ottertailguy

Common question. Roofs can be put on anytime of year. The worst time is mid-summer. The shingles get too hot and can be ruined before the job is done. They can often loose up to a few years of life just from putting them on when it is too hot. Don't let anyone tell you any different. Have installed roofs all year long for many years and never had a problem.

Some may tell you not to roof in colder temps. That is just because their Spaniard crews have gone south for the winter.

You generally have a year or more to complete the work. If you do not have a roof issue now (leak), I would wait until late spring. Makes the new roof last longer. Who know's maybe you will change colors by then. Note, I am not saying it is too late for this year.

Yes, you have a year to get the work completed and can get another year extension.

Having it done in the late spring will not make the roof last longer, but I agree, if it's not leaking, there is no rush.

My neighbor had his done 2 days ago. It looks good btw. Personally I'd do it now before prices rise even further. Plus who knows what next spring will bring. You may have a hard time scheduling a crew if we have bad weather early.

I agree buck. If it's 20+ degrees and sunny, the roof is over 50 degrees. When it is 90, the roof is well over 150 degrees. The tar paper, ice shield, and shingles take a beating in the summer.

Just saying that, just because someones neighbor or barber says, "don't roof in the winter", doesn't mean anything. The shingles will seal in the sun (as if the good ones even need to).

Summer is the worst time to have one done because of reasons all ready said, they take a beating. I know I will never roof my house in those temps.

I don't particularly like having to shovel a roof off in the winter before a tear off either.

Give me highs in the 40s-50s