Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rip_Some_Lip

Has anyone tried making Pheasant Jerky?

10 posts in this topic

I was digging through the freezer and found a couple breasts buried in the bottom of the freezer from last year. I freeze them in a ziplock bag in water so I don't think they are freezer burnt. I was thinking of thawing them out and making jerky with it. Has anyone tried this? I am out of venison to make jerky with so I had a brainstorm....lol.

Not to be rude but why would you want to make jerky out of perfectly good pheasant? Ducks and geese those stinky birds deserve to be turned into jerky but delicious pheasant deserves a better fate.

My dad has made pheasant jerky before and it was pretty tasty, quite a different taste and texture than duck and goose.

I haven't tried it but I know a butcher shop that does turkey jerky that is very good, I have a hard time driving by there without buying some, I would think that pheasant would be similar. It all depends on finding the right marinade...

Not to be rude but why would you want to make jerky out of perfectly good pheasant? Ducks and geese those stinky birds deserve to be turned into jerky but delicious pheasant deserves a better fate.

LOL...I was thinking the same thing. I haven't thawed them out yet so I don't know if they are freezer burnt or not. Like I said it was just a thought or maybe a brain fart...lol. I am just thinking of other ways to eat them up.

Last year I made 50 pheasants into Jerky. I just love it. My favorite is the High Mountain Cajun variety from Cabelas or Gander. I've tried my own recipes and some off the web, but I just like the High Mountain Cajun better. I don't feel the least bit bad about making pheasants into Jerky. As long as you use what you shoot and enjoy it, who cares? Personally, I think pheasant is tough as shoe leather compared to grouse.

If you froze them in water you are golden.

Last year I made 50 pheasants into Jerky. I just love it. My favorite is the High Mountain Cajun variety from Cabelas or Gander. I've tried my own recipes and some off the web, but I just like the High Mountain Cajun better. I don't feel the least bit bad about making pheasants into Jerky. As long as you use what you shoot and enjoy it, who cares? Personally, I think pheasant is tough as shoe leather compared to grouse.

Where the heck are you getting your ditch chickens? Are you over cooking them? Mine is never tough.

I'm pretty careful not to overcook them, but they just aren't as tender as grouse or store bought chicken. I do have ample opportunity to get sick of eating them though, I do a lot of hunting in both Dakotas and Iowa besides chasing them around home.

I made a batch last night and it turned out pretty good. It was a hit at work this morning also. I dont think I will do too many this way but it is a good alternative if you get tired of eating them the same way or if you have to use a few to be able to harvest some more.