• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Public land success!

Powerstroke

My dad and I spent the day hunting together. He wanted to go duck hunting and I wanted to pheasant hunt. We made a plan and did both.

We started off duck hunting at a WPA that I've hunted before. I haven't had much success in the past, but it was the only place I knew of on short notice. We got out bright and early. The air was a crisp 28*F and there was ice ~10 feet out from shore. We got the deeks set and waited. We bumped a small group of mallards off the water that were sitting in the spot I wanted. Once we were barely set up we got buzzed by a pair of woodies. We finished with one green-wing teal. It should have been two, but I missed.

duck3.jpg

After dragging our gear back to the truck we grabbed lunch and headed to a different WMA that I knew of. It had a couple acres of crops on it so I figured that would be a good place for some pheasants. I was right!! grin

Pheasant2.jpg

I got these boys about 30 feet apart, each of them with a single shot. I make mention of that because I've used almost an entire box of shells so far this hunting season and haven't hit a thing. It was starting to get old.

There can be success on public land if you put in some time and do a little scouting. I also went on a weekday which I'm sure helped.

ive shot all my deer,first buck first doe, in public land. as a matter of fact heading up to bemidji around noon to see what public land has to offer. Sometimes like you said going on a weekday when there is less people and less pressure pays off

I know that too many people turn their nose up at public land or think that it doesn't have the quality. Both places that I hunted are about an hour from my place. I use the DNR's rec compass to check out land form the air and then I plan whole days to hunt/scout these places out. Make notes on the ones I want to visit and then print a photo of them. I keep a folder of my maps and take notes on successes and activity noticed.

The MN public land system does have its shortfalls, but it is a pretty good system and its growing all the time.

(shameless plug)

VOTE YES ON THE OUTDOORS AMENDMENT!!