• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Longest tail feather this year

I just mounted a bird for a guy with 30 rings on the tail feather, very nice bird

thanks for posting this, i've always wondered how nice of a bird to mount. i.e. the pheasant i listed in this thread had 34 rings and my biggest from last year had 35.

now all i have to do is convince my wife that its ok smile

Got a 25.5 inch on Saturday that would have been a great one for the wall. It was a very nice looking bird and not shot up. I have a 27 inch with huge spurs (North Dakota bird) at the taxidermist, otherwise I would have mounted the bird from the weekend. I brought the 27 incher to the taxidermist two years ago. The taxidermist said it should be done by December.

Was in with another guy on a bird with 29" tail, don't remeber what the spurs looked like but I got the two long feathers on the dash of the bronco (why would you put em on the wall when you can eat em?) Opener in SD was just as good as last year.

My longest this year so far is 22" but last year a buddy shot one with 41 rings. I know he has the video of it but if I can get a pic I'll toss it up. I don't know what it measured but it's the biggest tailfeather I've heard of. Same guy boated a 56" ski on ML this summer too. He doesn't mess around.

I don't believe the number of rings on a tail feather are indicative of a longer tail feather. I've shot birds with many rings and others with fewer rings and it didn't seem to reflect on the feather length at all. It's just genetic variance is all. The ones with the tight rings are really cool. But then so are the ones with feweer than normal. My longest was a 27" many, many, many years ago.

I agree that they are too good to eat vs. a mount. That is why I have duck mounts on my walls.

I shot one yesterday that was 24.5 inches long. I shot him close to a fence line and the dog had to go through the fence and in a slough to retrieve it. It was a really god retrieve. i have it in the freezer trying to talk the wife into let me mount it. Lets just say we are continueing to negotiate the deal. At least i didnt get a No right away.

My pb 24" 2 days ago.. It was good shot.. As I was going to pick it up my dog was already there lay down n just stare at ground. As I think to myself where did bird go till I saw the tail stick out of my dog's belly so I figured she didn't know what to do with pheasant still flappin around so she decide to lay down on it n hold on it and she did it again *younger roster* today! Sure was a funny sight to see!