• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chasing, chasing ,chasing

James, send me a PM at nashasticker at yahoo dot com. I'll let you in on what I've been seeing, or if you check out the archery forum, there is another chasing, chasing, chasing, thread. The deer are really moving slowly. It was an uneventful MEA weekend. I drive around every morning before work and see what corn fields are getting picked and which aren't. They are starting, but its going very slowly. The combo of corn coming out and the 10 degree drop in temp could get them moving.

Hey Trigger,

I was in the area over the weekend and saw a really nice buck at Mauers that a kid took during the youth hunt. Have you seen any pics of it floating around? The kid must have been 13 or 14 and he had the buck of a lifetime in the back of dads truck. If I remember right it was 17 pts and a nice spread on him. 35 yard broadside.

I was out on saturday with girlfriend sitting in my ground blind. tried some grunting and light rattling nuttin showed up after about an hour or so she says I think you should try that deer calling thing again so I decided to try my estrus can five minutes later I see a deer standing in the brush about 30 yds away so Im looking thru the bino's it was a buck not very big but a buck so now im thinking how cool this is that she gets to see a buck up close as I am watching this buck I hear her take a deep breath instantly I no that she see's something that I dont a second later from around the side of the blind that i am sitting on come a 140-150 class buck 8yds out I waited for him to get past the blind so that I could draw.. at witch point I learned that it is not easy to shoot from a blind with two people in the blind I got thye hooked on something and couldnt get to full draw. Oh well!! It was awesome to have her there with me to expeirence the moment. I am getting closer to getting her hooked on the rush of sticks and strings

Hartner, I never saw the buck at Mauers, but I know that the pics will start piling in soon. I was just in Elba on Friday. A nice 17 pointer was just shot near Theilman. On the farm adjacent to my uncles, which I have permission to hunt on, but just never got a stand up there this year. Too bad. The deer is well into the 170's and could gross 180's or 190's. It had pop bottle bases and junk all over. Very nice buck. Its already at the taxidermist. Some of my students came in today and showed me pics. If that buck at Mauers was shot by a kid in the High School, I would have known about it for sure.

BB, great story, too bad you couldn't connect, but good to get the girlfriend out and get her in to hunting. I just don't think that the rut is on down here yet. Its getting warmer, but nothing like it will be in a week. It did drop ten degrees from yesterday, so that should pic things up. I'll be in the stand tomorrow night and be back with report by the evening hours. I put on a lot of miles over MEA and checked quite a few different farms.

One of the back feet had a club foot. It was 4-5 inches shorter then the rest so you will know it if you hear about it.

Get on those farm boys to get out and get that corn down. Isn't that what dryers are for? wink

So you all think the rut will be on in a week? I never seem to be able to hit it. Im leaving for up north on wednesday thru sunday, so hopefully these dropping temps get the deer chasing. What do you think?

I will be in the woods the 30th through the 2nd trying to finally see a buck in the day, there are plenty of does around so I hope the bucks are not too far away. What are some good tactics to use when the does out number the bucks?

I saw a young one chasing a doe around on Sunday morning. I have not seen much other activity going on though. I am spending most of my time chasing ducks still, a couple more days and I will make the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: frogtosser

I will be in the woods the 30th through the 2nd trying to finally see a buck in the day, there are plenty of does around so I hope the bucks are not too far away. What are some good tactics to use when the does out number the bucks?

Quote:
Shoot a doe.

+1

That's the problem with buck to doe ratios out of whack. Same thing where I hunt. No competition among bucks so scrapes really don't serve a purpose, the same goes for rattling, scents, ect. If regulations permit, shoot some does. That's about the best we can do other than let the young fellas walk. I'll be up the same time. Hunt the food sources (the does). The bucks will be close by. I'm hoping there will be some acorns left by the 29th otherwise they'll switch to browse and in the big woods, hunting gets tougher. Especially once the guns come to town.

I'll agree with that. With so many does, bucks don't have to spend a lot of time searching once they start to come into estrus. A balanced sex ratio means a lot more buck movement and competition so things like rattling work better.

last year I took 2 does and this year I just have not been able to connect with a doe yet, I am fully willing to take one but I am only in a 2 deer area and the other afternoon I saw 15 does and fawns and on the trail cameras there have only been 5 small bucks, so I was just wondering if there was anything I could do extra to get a buck in.

Frogtosser,

The bucks are breaking out of, or already have broke out of their early fall patterns. In the next couple of weeks try doing some grunting and rattling sequences which may coax a buck towards your tree, maybe mix in some estrous scent too. The biggest thing besides doing some calling is hunting the does. Come November if you are on does, you will be on the bucks.

Never saw one deer tonight. The deer sightings have really, really dropped dramatically the last week or so. The woods is still too green and there is still way too much corn in. We could really use a good killing frost, and a week of dry weather. If the corn doesn't go soon, I won't see another deer until the second firearm season.

I haven't seen any chasing behavior yet where I hunt but have seen 6 bucks in the last 2 nights out and no does to speak of other then one I jumped on the walk into the stand Weds night. I am seeing more rubbing and scraping activity and watched 2 pairs of bucks sparring lightly and have been having some success with light rattling and soft grunts in pulling deer into me but none I have wanted to shoot just yet. I agree that all of the standing corn is definately having an effect on deer movement but things are gonna start to get really interesting in the next couple weeks corn or not! Good luck to everyone, hope to see some pics of the deer you harvest in the near future.

Tunrevir~