• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chasing, chasing ,chasing

I went out with the spotlight on tuesday night for the first time in forever. I saw about 70 deer in an 1 1/2 hours. That included 2 bucks that were 3 1/2 years old and both were dawgin' does like CRAZY! I was surprized. One was right in someones front yard and wouldnt leave her. The other was about a 140" out in some CRP with 2 does and he was chasing one of them all over the field.

I also had about a 100" 4x4 come in and chased every doe off the food plot I was hunting on monday. He was ready for the breeding... It didnt appear that they were.

I had pics on my trail cam of a little 8 chasing a doe around 2 weeks ago!

Perch do you believe the little fella was chasin for real or just happen to be with the doe? Last year I had a small fork and a small doe by me twice during the first few weeks of the archery season. I believe they were the fawns I watched repeatedly the year before that, hangin out in the same exact area. Brother and sister. Their mother was an absolute monster doe, but I never saw her again after that fall with her fawns. Not being any type of authority on the issue, but I'd have to guess just a young buck going thru puberty all confused.

Well, I really want his sheds for a couple years! I dont have much for Droptine sheds. I have a nice 6 1/2 yr old 145" 5x5 on my own property which i missed a couple years ago but have several of his sheds and pictures of him. I guess I have a bone to pick with him. Hes nice and it appears hes not going to get any bigger.

I've been doing a little bit of tending grunts and light rattiling. It seems to be bringing in some young ones but that is about it. I agree with the Oct. 31 as a good startup time. but that week between gun seasons is gold.

Maybe some doe bleats and estrous might be in order?

Just because doe’s in an area are not ready, does not mean a bucks will not respond to some fabricated girlish action.

slim grizzly,

That is a good attitude to have. Reap the rewards of a great deer many times over wink

And if we DID know for sure it would take away all the excitement of the hunt...I'm anxious(understatement) to see if the chase phase trend continues for my specific area again this year. Last 3 years I have not seen a mature buck doggin a doe until Nov 3rd to the day. Daylight observations only. They could have started at night prior to that. Don't know. Last year nothing from my bow stand the 31st,1st,and 2nd. Then on the 3rd(rifle opener) I saw 3 different 10's on does. The third one was actually the next day, which ended up getting a tag.

fishing on the mississippi thursday and witnessed a pair mating on the 'sconie side. they didn't care abit that I was in the boat about 100yds away. pretty cool to see in person, usually only see that stuff on video. Looked like healthy 2 yr old doe and probably 2 year old six pointer. get prepared boys the game is on!

My uncle was going to go out last night but didnt get done with what he was doing in time so he sat on the gravel a 1/2 mile north and watched a 140-150" buck come out of a small woods just before sunset and work a fenceline for about a quarter mile making a scrape under every overhanging branch he came across. The last scrape he saw the buck make was about 10 yards from his stand. Needless to say he was bummed he wasnt in the stand. Now myself i wasnt able to get out last night so i decided to check out my slughunting land last night at sunset. I walked back to where i could see a picked beanfield near the river and woods we hunt and observed 4 bucks together feeding in the picked beanfield. Three 1 1/2 year olds and what looked to be about a 120-130 buck feeding together wasnt what i expected to see.

Along these same lines for those of you guys who get the outdoor news, pay attention to the best buck contest and all the bucks that will be shot in that Oct 15-18th range. Every year there is a ton of them. Something happens the middle of October where the big boys come out and play.

Hey tipup when i get a deer on the ground i'll be bringing my deer into that store like i always do.

Last year I tagged out on November 2nd, two days before gun season. 160 class buck. Last year I also saw a big pig of a buck on the Saturday night of MEA but couldn't get him to come in. This year, I had the exact same thing happen. Heres to hoping that it is a premonition of whats to come.

Not much activity down here in SEMN right now. Haven't seen any chasing, not much for buck sign, very little for scrapes and just a few rubs.