• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morson Duck Hunting Reports

hey swedishpimple do you have a cabin on Little Raspberry? I know my dad up there calls a guy on the radio with the same name. I got a buddy up there now. I am sure he will post a report on monday when he goes back home. I know today they were hunting Drennan's point for divers. B-dude

Benelli Dude,

I am up there a few times a year typically based out of Buena Vista Resort. We stay at their cabin across from Drennan.

That is not my cabin on Little Raspberry but I wish it was. There are quite a few Bemidji guys that have cabins in the area.

Got back on Thursday. Best Bluebill shooting we had in years. Thousands of bills to the East. Walleye fsihing was good. Necked down current areas (usual areas this time of year). Crappies were so-so. Hay Island by far the best. Thompson Creek area was very slow. Lots and lots of rain. Plenty of wind. Done for the year.

Dick

We kicked up a small raft of divers just out Morson last evening maybe 1000 birds or more but spread out over a big area. They didnt go very far and landed again. hearing mixed reports from other hunters up there. Some do good while others not as good. Still a few weeks left.

Hunted four days, okay but not great. Far fewer ducks than the week before. Not having rice has really hurt us. The ducks are coming and leaving fast. Very few ringbils, gadwall and redheads compared to last year (and last week) and still almost NO MALLARDS. Very odd. Hearing that some guys are getting them on the beaver dams but I have't seen the proof.

Only small rafts of bluebills in the usual spots on the big lake, maybe a couple thousand at best. Should be 20,000. Did not see the number of ducks Dmoore is seeing but we rarely go east.

Our best hunt was Saturday in the big wind but it only lasted a couple hours then the bluebills shut down like someone turned off the switch.

Home for a couple, then divert to sodak for a few days, then back up to the big pond next Monday for hunt No. 5. Hoping it gets real cold up north and we get some NEW DUCKS IN!!

We had the same report as dmoore. More ducks (esp. bills) east of Morson. Better bill numbers than past years, however, other species, like Mallards were less in numbers. We saw most of our mallards in back bays off channels.

A buddy just got back yesterday. Started out slow Saturday, but picked up Sunday and Monday. New ducks in the area Sunday and Monday. More bills in the area too, many were quite dumb.

I am heading up Thursday, I think we may hit the flight just right this year.

Just got back from 8 straight days on the big pond chasing ducks. Unless I get a miracle trip in, probably done up there for the year. So sad.

Since Sept. 10 opener made five trips, 22 days in duck camp, hunted 20, my dog retreieved 127 ducks and 1 Ross goose. That's 11 retrieves shy of last year.

All in all, it was a decent year but not great. We had some good bluebill shoots, but few great shoots and some slow bluebill days.

Ringbills (ringnecked ducks) were our savior again this year, had some great days with many limits despite the lack of rice. But not the big flocks we had last year.

Shot only two mallards all season, worst mallard hunting ever up there that I've seen.

Shot ZERO Canada geese, a complete bust compared to last year.

Very few redheads and gadwall compared to last two years.

The last few days were SLOW as we really tried to find the bluebills and just didn't find any big rafts. Looked from the west end of the Basil to the northeast bay of Obabakan and, while we saw thousands of buffleheads, we saw very few big ducks.

We lost most of our ducks in the big NW wind on Oct. 26 and did NOT see a new influx like others are reporting here (except buffleheads by the gillion.) I'm not sure why we didn't see all the ducks you guys are. Just not looking hard enough I guess, or wrong place at the wrong time.

(Next year I'm going to set aside 4 days in November for a hunt. It seems it's so warm in October now I don't think the push comes until much, much later.)

I'm praying for low water in June for lots of rice.

Anyhow, on to some pheasant hunts then back up to LOTW after Xmas for ice fishing!

Take care all!

Just returned for the annual hunt. Big bust this year. We shot about 25 ducks for 7 guys in 4 days of hunting.

Mainly buffs with 4 goldeneyes, 2 bills and a mallard mixed in.

I think the big blow on the 26 hurt us with the cold weather that followed. No new birds appeared to be in the area.

I will be heading up to the pond to scout all day this friday and will be gunning all day sat. and sun. I've never shot it before and would like a little guidance on where to start... I was thinking that some of the islands on the south end would be good, but would like to know....I've got a larger boat that can handle the lake so I'm not afraid to travel on it.....thanks in advance........It looks like the weather later in the week should push some new birds down..

Big boat or not, LOW is very unfriendly in cold snowy and windy conditions. Good chance you will be ok as far as ice on the lake, but you will be having icing problems on your winshield....if you have one. If you are in an open boat bring a snowmobile helmet, and extra dry clothes stored in a dry bag.

When I run a open boat I wear my Ice Armor then change into my camo.

From Morson I go NW to the Basil Channel....possibly the best and most sought after spot on the lake when the flight is in.

Be very careful in the snow. Better have the GPS up and running...sometimes it can be the only way to see in the snow.

Hey Bennelli Dude, did you get into any of them ducks you called me about. Wild Thing and I almost made the trip...he just waited to long to get papers from his wife...I was then comitted to babysit my grandaughter...couldn't get out of it...[PoorWordUsage]! Oh well next year we are going to see if we can stay that first week in November as well. I only hunted 32 days and that is not nearly enough! Take 'Em Club did inflict a fair amout of damage during the month of October tho! Thank goodness for the Ringers! Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving and Holiday season...Lil' Bluebill...Remember...when my Bennelli barks there is meat on the table...Take care...phil

Hey, Phil!

Nice carp! Did you get that on Lake vermilion?!!!

B-dude is back on the road methinks. He's been hunting those hooved critters on the Minnesota side a bit.

I'm off to western MN for pheasants tomorrow for a few days. B-dude is still talking about a sodak phes trip for the first weekend in December, the trip that got cancelled in October.

Keep in touch. Come on up ice fishing this winter!!

Wthing

Nah I didnt bother them ducks I seen that day. It was tempting though. But they lived to see another season. Hope next year is better for ducks. I know it wasnt the greatest on the south side of the lake. Tuesday was my anniversary and I was on the road but I did remember to call the wife that day. Remember to call me when you come up icefishing. I only live a block off the highway in town here and if I find out that you was up icefishing and I was home and you didnt call....well you and I will just have a little chat. Ha! No deer yet for me other than the one I shot by dads when the Toronto boys were up. I was hoping to make it back up after the party but when I got home from that trip I came down with the flu. I just so happened to have a week at home and I was sick for 4 days. That really burned. I'm glad it happened when I was at home and not on the road. Aint nothing more miserable than travelling while you are sick. It was good food that night up there. I did have a moment of silence in honor of our late friend that Monday. Gonna miss him dearly. Had my greatest duck hunt ever with you and Paul that day on the Little Grassy! going to SD in couple weeks and make them Benelli's bark. then there will be meat on the tailgate. I will look you up if we ever get down that way to visit! Keep in touch and have a good turkey day. B-dude