Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shawn Kellett

Who wants to help with muskie rearing pond????

24 posts in this topic

We're planning on netting our rearing pond on Nov. 1 and need some strong backs. We also need help clearing weeds in the pond on Oct 25th. If we don't get the weeds out we won't be able to get the fish out the next week.

Hi Shawn -

Like I told you in the email I'd love to get involved in helping out. Where is the rearing pond? I will try to make arrangements at home so I can be there.

thanks - box

Hey Man,

There was a link on my original post. It appears someone edited it out. Greg Kappas is in charge of this operation and his # is in the post.

Here's the post on the clearing of weeds:

AS of now we need help removing weeds from the rearing pond. I am hoping they will continue to die off

my gut is they wont. So on saturday October 25 if you can help with weed removal come on up.

We need to remove weeds before we net or we will kill the fish.This will involve getting in the water

this is crucial to our whole operation

greg kappes

952-470-2260

Netting:

we will be netting the rearing pond in cambridge on SATURDAY NOVEMBER 1.

help will be needed. we will meet at perkins in cambridge at 7am ( hiway 65 and 95 northwest corner)

please be prompt.....plan to be netting by 8 am.

If you can help please post reply here

thanks

greg kappes

952-470-2260

I'd like to help with this, i'll try and get it approved by the boss!

Hiya -

If you guys get the chance to help out with this do so. I've got prior commitments I'd be there in a heartbeat (and I may be there Nov 1 if some shaky plans fall through.) It's really a neat deal, and a load of fun. Get to see lots of little muskies, and usually some entertaining pratfalls by the guys helping out. A few guys fall in the mud, or in the pond. Last time I was there a guy had a muskrat climb out of the net and run up his arm, which was even funner than it sounds. I don't know who was more shocked - the guy or the muskrat.

The best reason to go, though, is to witness first hand just what it takes to support this fishery. Netting the ponds is quite a feat, and it's a great example of how far the TC Chapter, MI, and Paul Hartman are willing to go to do their part for the fishery we all enjoy.

Go if you can.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Hope to see you there RK! This pond is a different one then you were at last time. We're working with Paul on the other one to winter the fish over to get them larger. We even purchased an aerator to make sure we don't have a winter kill.

This one is a new one for the TC Chapter. As of a couple weeks ago the fish were only 6-7". We've been feeding them as much as possible lately so hopefully they'll hit 10" by then. We're probably looking at putting them in Indy right now. I'll know more next Thursday.

Definitely would love that... cant make it for Oct 25th as I'll be in Kansas for a wedding reception... but I should be free on Nov 1st...

Just want to get plans straight-

Oct 25th meeting where and what time, Who's buying breakfast(LOL)

Nov 1st Perkins 7am Who's Buying Breakfast (LOL) gotta try.

I have no plans for them days right now, But if I'm not still doing overtime, I'll try getting up there.

Robbo

I can't make the 25th, but I'm planning on the Nov 1st date, and I don't even have the strong back that Shawn mentioned!

Granted this photo shows a fish a big bigger than we'll be pulling out of this particular pond, but the image sure does get you interested, at least I hope it does!

stock4.jpg

Quote:
I can't make the 25th, but I'm planning on the Nov 1st date, and I don't even have the strong back that Shawn mentioned!

cjac... get ahold of me please. i've got a little something i'd like to discuss. thanks.

Nov 1st is homecoming for UMN, and I won't be around the 25th. Bad timing I guess or I'd help out.

Next Sat, the 25th at Perkins in Cambridge, I'll be there. I am gonna check if a buddy wants to come with too! Wish I could do the 1st, but can't.

Hello,

I live in Cambridge and would love to help on the 25th and the 1st. What tools, if any, do we need to bring and should we have some wadders?

Grant

Hey Grant,

Waders and a good work ethic should be all you need to bring, glad to see you helping out!

*** Reminder of this opportunity to help out on Saturday. ***

I can't make this Saturday but I'm planning on Saturday, November 1st.

There may just be a little reward/incentive involved for those registered FMers that can participate. Regardless, it's a great way for an individual to make a significant contribution to the future of our fisheries. It's also a great way to meet some new people with the same interests!

Hey Guys,

If you can please call Greg on the number provided above so he can get a head count. As of this afternoon he said he had 4-6 which is a little light. We'd love to get a dozen + if possible.

Thanks to those that will be there!

Wish I could make it stuck in Madison WI for college, if there is anything to help with over winter break let me know, cchristenson@wisc.edu

Croix Christenson

I would have loved to help ... but last weekend I tweaked my knee pulling out 9 docks and 5 boat lifts. Part of the hazards of lake living and getting old.

I may be in for the 1st depending on the knee. Good luck to those working on it tomorrow, should be the nicest day of the weekend.

I hate to have to do this, but the buddy I mentioned reminded me we were going grouse hunting heading out tonight, sorry guys

I am planning on helping tomorrow and left Greg a voice message but I will be gone tonight. Is everyone meeting at Perkins at 7:00 a.m. tomorrow too or is that just on the 1st? can someone PM with the details for tomorrow (either a meet up site and time or the location of the property)? Thanks in advance.

Grant

i'm going to build two custom Heckler ''Rides'' medium sized for free raffle to anyone who shows up on the two dates mentioned and helps out. and those who don't win will get a coupon mailed to them for 25% off any lure(s) purchase, good forever. email address and name will be needed. or at least an address. i'll be building both to the point of patterning. the winners will choose the pattern they want and when they are done i will ship them to them for free also. i'm not able to help with the physical stuff because of doctors orders so i'm doing what i can to help out in a way i can. thanks in advance to anyone who participates.

I hope to help, this sounds awesome! Any more info send to handintank@yahoo.com Any chance of getting a fingerling or two for a big tank? Are they sold at all?