• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Digital converter box problems!!!??

BLACKJACK

Question

Living in the country, we've skipped the dish and just used an antenna and pulled in UHF stations. Now my wife got the digital converter box, hooked it up, and she gets less stations now than when we didn't have the box!! The same happened to my folks, they live in the country about 70 miles from us, when they hooked up the digital box, they get less stations!!

Whats the deal? Is there a solution to this? Is this an antenna problem? Do I need to adjust the antenna? Will upgrading our TV to one that handles digital and skipping the box allow us to get the same stations as before?

Thanks for the info!!!

4 answers to this question

Quote:
Is this an antenna problem? Do I need to adjust the antenna?

I would look into this first. My kids have a digital ready TV in their room, with no dish. When the ant. is adjusted right, I get all kinds of stations in. More than they had before when the ant. is adjusted correct.

Did you try antennaweb dot org yet? You first give your address as an input. The HSOforum will then tell you how many digital and analog stations you should receive based on the antenna type and orientation you have.

I'm not sure if all analog stations have to convert, or if the rule change is just that all existing analog signals cease this Feb (some convert to digital and some don't). If it's the latter, then I could see how you might lose stations. My Dad's in Rochester, and to my knowledge there are no digital stations nearby.

First you need to find out where your signal is coming from. If it is a low power rural station or a transponder(relay tower) that you are receiving your signal from it may still be analog after the switch over in February. Low power stations and towers are not required to make the switch right away. Some stations will be making the switch on time, others won't, call the provider for your area to find out. If they are staying analog for awhile than you should have the converter box with the analog pass through switch or just keep using your antenna without the box until the switchover happens. Also, there is something about the stations decreasing there output power for a period of time before the switch happens so you may have a situation where you no longer can receive their signal.Check the link for more info.

https://www.dtv2009.gov/lowpower/