• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help??

Make sure you remove all of the fat and silver skin!! Then I soak in salt water this draws some of the blood out and any lose hairs will float to the surface . The ground meat will not taste any different then beef. Don't over cook steaks, and roast I do in a crock pot.

Typically it is the way it was prepared that makes it taste bad. My mom could make a fillet mignon taste gamey, and my brother can make a steak from an old swamp buck melt in you mouth.

Here is a snip from an old post last year on this topic. This is what I use for my wife and kids. I now also add 1/4 cup worcestershire to the below recipe. There are also other ideas on that old thread here

Here is a marinade I have used for years now. It will work for any venison cut. I used this and my wife, who would not eat venison, had me grilling all the time until we ran out of meat. This is great for those who don't like the game taste!

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 Tbs ketchup

1 Tbs lemon juice

1 Tbs red wine vinegar

1/4 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp garlic powder

Mix together and add meat. Let sit in refrigerator covered for 12-24 hours.

Enjoy!

I agree with boatfixer, soaking in milk over night seemed to work the best at our house for steaks. I don't mind the taste, matter of fact I love it. Wife is now fine too straight up. And the girls are still used to a little extra seasoning to cover up any "supposed gamieness"

Here is a great way to prepare venison and I really think that your son will love it.We have had some pretty picky kids at camp and they all loved it.

Venison Stroganoff

2 pounds boneless venison loin or steak

1/4 cup butter

1 can (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms drained ( I add more cause I love mushrooms)

2 cans (10 1/2 oz each) condensed beef broth ( I have always used Campbells beef consomme)

1/3 cup dry minced onion

1/4 cup catsup

1 1/2 tea. garlic salt

1/3 cup flour

2 cup sour cream

Cut meat across the grain into 3/4" slices. then into strips 3 x 1/4". Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet. Cook and stir mushrooms in butter about 5 min.; Remove mushrooms. In the same skillet brown meat. reserving 2/3 cup broth, stir in remaining broth, onion, catsup and garlic salt. Cover and simmer 15 min.. Blend reserved broth and flour; stir into meat. Add mushrooms, heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil 1 min, stir in sour cream; heat through. I like to serve it over noodles like a rotini so that the sauce stick to the noodles ( The corkscrew type)

I'm going to e-mail JNelson. He has one of the easiest Fakeiokki or how ever you want to spell it. Anyway, its awesome, I have served it to many people who swore they hated deer meat to tell me they loved it.

PRetty much though, a can of Coke, a cup of low sodium soy sauce, some garlic, few herbs for fun, and a dash or 2 of EVOO... let her sit a few hours and then grill. Awesome!!!!

Deitz is right on. This is about as easy as it gets because most often the ingredients are on-hand.

Can or less of coke, 1/2 cup or more of soy sauce (depending on whether or not it's low sodium, or how much you like the saltiness and/or taste of soy sauce), teaspoon or two of minced garlic, chopped fresh parsely if you have it or any other herb you'd like. Rosemary works great too, but not too much. Some olive oil, and marinate as many hours as you have time for, up to overnight.

Substitute coke for beer if you'd like for a different flavor altogether. Choose a heavy, dark beer if you like it.

The coke/beer does more than flavor the meat, the carbonation and acidity tenderizes the meat. Not only is it darn flavorful, but it'll be more tender as well!

Last note, a minute or two per side if 1" thick on a med-hot grill. Don't overcook!!!! I'd much rather slice and check the steak (should be red/pink in the middle) than overcook!!!

Joel

I was in the same boat as your son at about that age. I din't eat burger or steaks for many years (maybe 10) but now I look at a venision steak on the grill and life dosen't get much better - I'd say don't force it on him, If he wants to eat it other ways let him.

pascooter94, Hey Dude, You're lucky!! When I was a kid, Pa would come home from 'Deer Huntin' and that was ALL we had to eat!! Supper-time at home SUCKED!! Of us 3 kids,to this day (43+ years) have ABSOLUTELY NO interest in deer hunting! He spoiled US because of HIS obsession!! I have 180 acres of northern deer land that'll NOT be used for deer hunting in MY lifetime, due to this! I'd rather eat beef or pork cause I can't stand the SMELL of venison!!! Phred52

sorry to hear that, i dont force my three kids to eat anything but i do ask them to try it and if they dont like it fine but will try to make it someother way but thats fine if thay dont, my son loves to hunt,like last week when the wind was out of the south and asked if we could go hunt and i said no because the wind was wrong i thought the world came to the end. told him when he got home from the act test today we are going cant wait this is his frist year bow hunting and he is pumped, he has shot deer during slug season but wants on with his bow cant wait till he does.

I just tried Joel Nelson's Fakeiokki as described above with Coke, and it was AWESOME! I made plenty with the intention of having leftovers today for lunch. The leftovers lasted about a half hour before they were gone.

Thanks Joel and Dietz! Great recipe.