• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowl gun advice

Hey all, recent convert to waterfowl hunting here. Went out last year once with no dekes to do pass shooting, now I somehow ended up with 2 full bags of decoys, new camo clothing, and am lookin at a new gun. I have a nice upland gun but its not camo, has shiny parts and a very nice wood stock which is now swelling with water...

SO! Any recommendations for a camo'd semi-auto 12 gauge? I'd be looking to duck and turkey hunt with it. Under 500 bucks would be preferable. Thanks for any advice!

There are a TON of choices...

Mossberg makes several guns that would fit your criteria, and they're all quite reasonable.

Stoeger 2000 is a great waterfowl gun, and not too spendy.

Remington 870's are always good guns.

Charles Daly makes some darn good turkey/waterfowl guns. We have a CD camo pump and a semi-auto, and they're fantastic,, very reliable, durable, etc...

Go to the gun shop, shoulder a few, see what fits, and run with it!

The camo guns are neat, I have a couple, but I'm not sure it really matters.

People hunted with blued steel and wood stocks for a couple of years before camo became all the rage. I will say the composite and camo finish has some benefits in the maintenance area though.

Of course you don't think you need camo, you don't have it... wink

I think the camo finished guns are not only very cool looking, but hands down the easiest to maintain. I travel a ton, and that's the main reason I purchased a Daly pump in full camo, so it could sit in my car taking hits on condensation and moisture, as well as non-stop temperature changes through the hunting season. I clean it twice/three times a year, and it doesn't have a speck of rust, nor a rut or spot.

What kind of gun to you have now? Ducks died for decades before camo or black guns were around. You can buy some camo tape and use the one you have now if you really think it's that important. Just keep the gun down low until you need it and you shouldn't have any problems.

"Looks cool" doesn't put the ducks in the boat.

Any recommendations for a camo'd semi-auto 12 gauge?

It will be tough to find a good semi auto not to mention a camo'd semi auto for under $500. Maybee a used 11-87. If you are worried about the wood swelling another option is composite.

I wouldnt let cammo hold me back from getting the gun I want. You can always get it dipped for $150 or so. I like the look of my gun the way it is, my roomate bought the same gun as me but in cammo and I still like mine better.

I use the same shotgun for everything from grouse to turkeys. After all I choose it because thats the shotgun that fit and is exactly what I wanted.

Instead of changing shotguns, I change choke tubes and test pattern with different loads. When I need to cover up a $8 camo gun sock does the trick perfectly.

Guys, thanks for the advice so far. 2 things I'd like to clear up.

I want a semi-auto, because I'm used to it. I'm not looking to get into a pump when I mainly shoot a semi auto. Also, I don't care for the 870, I have a 20 gauge one, and do not like it at all.

I have a Benelli Montefeltro right now, but the issue is maintenance. That's why I want the camo. Synthetic and film coated. I took the Benelli out once waterfowling in the rain and now the stock is swollen, and I'm having to do a lot of maintenance. As my uncle put it, I'm driving a ferrari off road when I should have a truck

Mossberg 935. Picked mine up in Max-4 for about $550 new at that big store out in Rogers... can't remember the name wink

The Super Black Eagle / Xtrema2 crowd will probably tell you to save your money, Mossbergs are junk, get a gun that costs 3X as much - don't listen to 'em. It is a great gun and is made in the US. Sure it isn't as smooth as a $1500 Benelli, but ask the ducks if they can tell the difference.

Charles Daly Field Hunter, you can get them for $400 at times in 3 camo color choices. You won't regret the gun, and no matter which gun you choose, you'll love the camo. So easy to care for, and you can beat the living (insert bad word) out of 'em!

As for guns that look cool not putting ducks in the boat, I disagree. A good looking gun gives a person confidence, and confidence is one of the most important things in shooting...

i have a stoger m2000 for the past 6 years and it has never failed me great gun. also i picked up a brand new winchester sx2 for $500 off of nodakoutdoors. keep a eye on all the hunting websites you will find a good deal some time soon

I have a Stoeger m2000 in max-4 and that thing has been put through the harshest conditions waterfowl hunting. Never have problems jamming. I clean it about every 2 boxes of shells because which takes under 15 minutes, very easy to take apart. Basically a different looking M2. Same maker, same inertia-driven system, just doesn't have the comfortech.

And I got mine for 399 new in box after looking around for 6 months so just keep yours eyes open and you'll find a deal.

I second the Stoeger 2000. Bought one last year, very durable and user friendly and easy to clean. It's made by Benelli for petes sakes. Good all around gun with all the chokes you need for waterfowl and turkey.

One thing I found out though is to buy a recoil pad, kicks like a mule.