Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
updecreek

A man recently was fined fortaking 44 walleye?

22 posts in this topic

A Baudette, Minn., man recently was fined $3,500 for taking 44 walleyes over the limit. heres the full story.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/30981904.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUgOahccyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU

Yeah that's way too light. Rules are rules. People like this need to face some community service time and/or public humiliation. It'd be great if T.I.P. had an ad campaign that posted these guys faces at various fishing shops like "wanted" ads to promote turning in poachers hotline.

I say they get off too easy as well. I would make the fines more and then have them working at boat landings helping people with loading and unloading and then picking up garbage. That way their faces would get out to all fellow fisherman and anyone thinking about poaching would see this and think twice.

Maybe have them wear a turn in poachers t-shirt? grin

That is ridiculous!! As far as a punishment goes, take the guys licenses away for the YEAR! Clearly these guys were going for it all and did not care what so ever about the regulations. Wow, sad story but even sadder is that it happens a lot more than we think!

. I would make the fines more and then have them working at boat landings helping people with loading and unloading and then picking up garbage. grin

I wouldnt want someone who is a poacher loading my boat. if they were dishonest about taking over their limit, what else may they be dishonest about.

make them clean public bathrooms or bathrooms at the state fair something that really stinks

I like your idea of cleaning out Biffies for a week.

Besides the ethical problem of taking 44 over the limit, why would you ever want to have that many fish in your freezer? We should promote freezer diversity. Who doesn't enjoy a little cow from time to time?

Did you see the part in the article that says he was allowed to keep his fishing privileges. I wonder waht you have to do to loose your fishing priveledges?

Maybe they should require him to have a big Chartouse sign on the side of the boat saying "I AM A FISH POACHER"

They should up the fines, take away fishing privleges and put their boat up for auction. I feel guilty keeping a limit every couple of months. I hate it when I see limits taken home by people I know whenever they go out. You'd think they were starving or something.

I know it has nothing to do with poaching but I think slots and size limits are the best thing to happen to minnesota fishing in a long time. Take enough for a meal once in a while and throw the rest back.

Go Gophers

I say they get off too easy as well. I would make the fines more and then have them working at boat landings helping people with loading and unloading and then picking up garbage. That way their faces would get out to all fellow fisherman and anyone thinking about poaching would see this and think twice.

Maybe have them wear a turn in poachers t-shirt? grin

Better yet a standard issue "I'm a Poacher" T-shirt!

Why in the He@*$% should this bum ever be allowed fishing priveleges in Mn. again? You know he is going to go out and do it again and has probably done it many times before w/out being caught. Makes me sick to my stomach! He doesn't deserve the privelege of taking fish/game here after that IMO.

If he is going to poach, do ya think he cares if he has a license or not?

The penalties he faced were way too light. My buddy got busted a few years back for fishing a private lake with one extra line. He faced several hundred in fines. Then the CO took all his gear he had on the ice, took the two fish he had and threatened to take his truck.

Now this guys is way over the limit and they just give him some fines. Thats complete [PoorWordUsage]. Take his freezer with everything in it, take his boat with everything in it and ban him from fishing in MN for a few years.

so the difference between a non-poacher and this guy is that a non-poacher would have ate fish everyday?

I gotta agree with some others here, he should have lost his fishing privileges for at least 2 years and more appropriately, 5 years or more. Maybe they should have a poachers dunk tank at the state fair to raise money for walleye stocking.

so the difference between a non-poacher and this guy is that a non-poacher would have ate fish everyday?

Interesting question Sledneck. If I remember the article correctly it mentioned that this guy was taking multiple limits daily which would throw him out of the question above.

But to answer you question if he was not taking multiple limits.

In the eye's of the DNR YES.

Hrm, didn't know your freezer stock was part of your daily limit. (Or possession limit if I misunderstood) Good thing i only keep a few sunnies for a rainy day!

Take away their license for a year and fine the [PoorWordUsage] out of him. Also i think that my work squad punishment i got years ago on a dui would be appropriate as well. I was made to go into three different ice arenas and scrub the puck marks off of all the plexi-glass. suffice to say i am pretty careful when i drink now (knock on wood wink )

Yeah that just changed 2 years ago,I think it was? I believe it used to be 18=per person household prior to that? Now Household Possesion=daily limit-(6) per person. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty certain that's the case.

My wife is in school for wildlife management and she has told me that that is the law as well.

People will never learn if all they get is a slap on the wrist. It makes me so mad! mad