• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

need new puppy

blarkey

Blarkey, you are going to get a variaty of opinions, but there is no perfect breed...everyone has thier favorite, and most times it's usually the breed they own..But you can probably never go wrong with a lab for the versatillity and companionship you are looking for...Just be sure you do your research...Get one from a breeder with high standards and don't be afraid to ask for references, and to see the parents..It's been my experience that most dogs are good with kids if raised with them. Make sure the kids are gentle with the pup and treat him right and he should grow up fine.... Good luck on your quest...uplander

As much as i love my Springer - I wouldn't have a Springer puppy in the house with kids - talk about ENERGY. My Springer needs to be a hunting dog - period. Hopefully, when he gets older, he will turn down the juice a bit - but he just has too much OMPH in my house. I'm making an outdoor kennel for him.

Now, if you didn't mind him outside all the time - he would be great with kids - MAN, do they LOVE to PLAY. Play ALLLLLLL DDDDDAAAYYYYYY!!!!

Over the years I have owned a number of breeds = labs, springers, and setters. I also help train hunting dogs and have seen and worked with most breeds. Every breed has it's own unique characteristics... Like you, I was looking for an excellent water dog for duck and goose hunting plus an excellent closer working upland dog for pheasant and grouse hunting. I also have 6 young grandchildren and wanted a dog that would be really good around young kids. I was also looking for a breed that does not shed much. All in all pretty tough criteria. After lots of research and time my wife and I chose the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon...

Our Griff is now 18 months old and without a doubt she has met all of the criteria that we were looking for. She is great with kids and with us... She is a bird finding machine in the field and works close and is very easy to handle. She will sit in a duck blind and will not leave until being sent and loves the water and retrieving. And the bonus is she sheds very very little. She has been a pleasure to train!

I found an excellent breeder who is selective as to where his dogs go. He also has a contract which guarantees the dog... He only breeds maybe one litter a year and is very selective on who he breeds his girl with. Absolutely top of the line dogs.

From what you have said in your post you are looking for one of the Versatile breeds. The North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association (NAVHDA)is a great source of information.

You can also go to the AKC web site and look at the characteristics of various hunting dogs. This may help you with your selection.

I hope this helps!

the dog that I'm replacing was a yellow lab and I'm leaning towards another. It's good to get some perspective of other dogs that others enjoy and use them like I do. I like the British labs right now but don't want to spend a grand, their expensive enough with out the large up front expense.

We are very happy with our Britt. He is closing in on 2 years old. YES he has a lot of energy, buy it is also a riot to watch him and my 6 year old daughter play together. But as was said before, do some research and determine what kind of dog best fits your style. I have always had a dog and Probably always will. I also like having a dog around my daughter to teach her how to take care and treat it. She does a real good job so far.