• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scents and Attractants

96trigger

I have been thinking about giving some buck-n-rut, or megatarsal plus scents a try for the next couple of weeks. I usually don't break out the doe estrus for a week or so yet, but I am going to do some hunting over MEA and would like to know what other people do for scents right now.

I know that some people on here are just going to say scent elimination. And I don't disagree, I have done that for the past couple of years, but it has been unproductive. Don't get me wrong, I see deer, but they are all youngens. I want to know if anybody using anything to try and lure the big guy out this early, or if it is just a sit and wait game and that I shouldn't waste my money. I have had great luck during the rut using doe estrus, but I still think that is a week away. Or should I just start now with the doe estrus.

Also, I saw two small deer sparring last week, I see the scrapes are starting to increase. Is it too early to rattle heavy, or would you keep it soft. This is in SEMN where there hasn't been much of a hard frost yet, but the weather is finally cooler after Monday's cold front.

If all you see is youngens with no scents/calls thats mostly likely what you will see with scents. Unpressured deer will be more likely to come in to scents. When you see bucks stop chasing doe's is the best time to use estrus. Stright doe pee (not estrus) is a good cover scent to use on your boots or a drag all season. I like using scents from hoosier trapper supply. Its good stuff and a lot CHEAPER. You can order on their web site just google hoosier trapper supply.

trigger its never to early to try something, the rut or for lack of better terms the pre-rut starts as soon as the velvet comes off I have been watching bucks spar since the middle of sept. remember the does control the rut not the bucks they decide when to breed. warm temps do not shut the rut down they just decrease daytime activity. If you doubt this just ask yourself if it stayed mild would the deer just not breed that year. I have found that some of my best sucess rattling and calling has come early in the season and late in the season. when there are not as many does in estrus. remember that when you are rattling try not to get to carried away with the intensity or you may scare away even a mature buck nobody wants to get beat up by the neighborhood bully. I would try and mix it up now using scents calling ETC.. there is no time like the present to try new things

Thanks, I know that there are big guys around. I have pictures of them on camera. I think that they are staying put until after dark. I want to try and coax them out. Last week I had some come in to a grunt, and I thought it was early for that, but it still worked. Just nothing big. I'd like to sweeten the pot a little bit with some scents, I'm just wondering if there is a preference rigt now on a particular buck or doe scent. I suppsoe I can start calling, rattling, and hanging scent know and see what happens. I have a few stands that I am saving for THE TIME. Maybe I'll go to the other ones and see if I can pull something in. Thanks.

I do a lot of mock scrapes right now to get a mature buck interested in a "spot". I know it works because they often revisit (but are all nocturnal right now) , or so the cameras show. I just keep them around and wait for a rain. If it rains Ill get on these hot scrapes and be sitting when the rain stops. Those big boys will sometimes be the first one there to freshen it before jr. gets the chance. I use Activescrape and now im trying to use this Tinks spray which isnt working that well yet. Weve had so much rain lately though I cant get any scrapes established, they just wash out too fast.

You never know... The "lull" of October is always tough. Ya people say you can kill a big one now, true, but no one can compare it to whats coming in 2-3 weeks.

Try scents, what have yoou got to loose?! But Im with you, I have THOSE STANDS where I think the best approach is to stay out until; the time is right!

I will hunting hard up north of DL from the 23rd-26th. I plan on using a buck bomb-doe estrus. I know there are big woods bucks up there, and I think the pre-rut will be on at that time. Im in the same predicament as you, guess we'll just have to try it and see what happens. Good luck...

the best thing you can do with a mock scrape, is bring a little dirt to it from a real scrape, preferably from a different location. If a mature buck made one, then a mature buck in another area will be there to investigate. also, try gathering scat, or droppings, and do the same thing. deer are naturally curious, and scat isn't offensive smelling. so they come to check out the possible new deer in the area.

both sound a bit dirty, but hey, both are as natural as they come, and they're free. work better to!