• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opinions on Nils hand auger?

Huey

For those guys with Nils hand augers, how do you like using them?

I have an older strikemaster hand auger and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 6" Nils. The handle looks different than a Strikemaster. It looks like you crank with both hands simultaneously. Is that good, bad, or neither?

Thanks in advance for any info,

Huey

Is it easy to get used to the differnt handle set-up?

Spefically, cranking with both hands rather than holding the auger upright with one hand and cranking with the other.

Or will I look like a guy trying to take a soberiety test at the end of his bachelor party?

Well, I might anyways, but ...

It doesn't take long at all to get used to the different handle set-up. And once you do, that Nils will make ya smile. I've got an 8", a 6" should just fly thru the ice. Every single person that I've ALLOWED to use it(I'm picky about who touches my gear), has been impressed with the speed and ease of use of the Nils hand auger. I don't even break out the LazerMag till the ice thickness is nearing double digits. This will be my 5th or 6th season with one, it's one of my favorite pieces of ice gear.

Did I mention I like the Nils? laugh

I purchased a Nils 8 inch hand auger and used it for 3 seasons... Absolutely loved it. Perfect for dudes who like to move around and drill a few holes. But being the gear head that I am, I wanted MORE! Last season I purchased a Tanaka powerhead from an outfit in Minneapolis... Holy smokes! Drills like a dream, minimal effort, lighter than a fart, and it is a great way to meet other fisherman (curiosity factor). I do agree with Duffman, you have to be careful with the blades, so not any old ham-hands can use it.

Just buy it, youll love it.