• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

30-30 winchester

You can do anything you want with a Marlin including useing it for a Bumper Jack for all I care. But--putting a scope on a 94 just makes some of us ole hillbilly's just cringe. It ain't a pre-64 is it?

I'm just jerking your chain--but expect to get some odd looks from some of the ole timers.

I know thats one [PoorWordUsage] of a gun to be putting a scope on. What am I doing? I can't wait till I can take it off, but I am just trying to get a gun that will give a little more range than my slug gun(also want to kill a deer with a rifle). Next year I will shoot for a new 30-06 barrel for the encore.

I was doing some research on if it's a pre-64 and the newer ones looked to have a hammer safety bar??

This gun doesn't have it, it's top eject I believe. The other eject option is slant eject so whatever that is.

I believe the gun was purchased new in the early 70s.

How do I tell if it's pre-64?

Put a williams reciever site on it--forget the scope. It'll shoot just as well. I have a lyman on mine but thats overkill. You could e-mail me your serial number and I could look-up your manufacture date.Guys like me with some familiaraity with this gun need only rack the lever and tell you pre-64 or not.

The ole thuty-thuty has killed more game than all other calibers put together but thats because they have outsold all others over the last 100years.

So kkahmann. Could you kill a big mature buck at 200yds. with that gun?

If you would check if it's pre64 that would be cool. Is a pre64 worth much more than a post64?

What the heck is a williams reciever site?

What's a lyman? Overkill works sometimes.

Maybe I could just use that 4x-7x scope on my muzzleloader for use during the regular firearms season or for a black bear sometime?

Williams 5D reciever site is a cheap aluminum peep site--Lymans is better steel but way more expensive. It's not for nothing that every Infantry in the world uses a peep site.

Will a 30-30 kill a moose at over 200yds? Easy--hittin it in the right place is the trick.

30-30 has whats known as a rainbow trajectory. 170 grn silvertips in mine drop about 9 inches in 200 yards. thats still in the boiler room on a moose but gettin marginal on a deer. And that doesn't take into account the wind at all. I won't take a shot much beyond 100yds and none over 150yds and I'm better at judging distance than most people are. I was trained by the 6th Infantry in target detection.

I have a Win 94 produced in 1949 and 3 more that were all made post 1964. Evidently they changed the manufacturing process in 1964 with many more stamped metal pecies instead of machined steel. When cycled side by side the difference is noticeable. That said the post '64s work and shoot just fine. My '49 Winnie lives in Minnesota--I took it there when long gun registration came into effect in Canada. I hunt deer with it in Tenn--Virginnia--Wisconsin and Minnesota.

I'm more of a moose hunter than a deer hunter because of where I live. My dream rifle would be Winchester Model 71 in .348--that one has the peep mounted right on top of the bolt.

The 30-30 is good to go.

When you tip a scope on it's side your reticle adjustments DO change, "original windage adjustments now become height adjustments, and original windage adjustments would now be your up and down height adjustments".

I zeroed the gun in at 25yds. and it took a while. I then proceeded to 200yds. My first two shots were 3 inches low and were actually in the same hole. Things proceeded to get a bit worse from there on out but was very acceptable.

It must be the modern ammo that is helping this classic gun out. I won't hold back for one second if a deer is 200yds away.

Accuracy at 200yds. is one thing but seriously does this gun have MORE than enough power at that range? Will a double lung shot most likely pass through or not?

I have no problem with my 12ga. hitting a paper plate everytime at 150yds. Crank the power up on the scope so the target looks to be right on top of you, relax and gently squeeze the trigger.

Seriously, you might be the best shot I have ever heard of. If you can hit a paper plate "everytime" I would hate to see what you could do at 50 yards which is about the average hunters range with a slug. Good job!

Yeah, I really think in just the last few years ammo has come along ways.

I am a pretty decent shot but believe me I have missed more than my fair share. Shooting at the range with sand bags and a bench means almost zero when you compare it to a real hunting situation.

I own a model 94 it sits in my gun safe and probably will forever. It was the gun I used as a kid and never had much luck with it. I use to joke and say I have a hard time hitting the broad side of the barn from the inside with that gun. I would stick with your slug gun for sure, you seem confident in that and confidence is key.