• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Food for Thought???

Ok, how many of you deer hunters have sat out in your stand/blind the eve before opener just to see if you see any deer? I have and last year I must have counted 16-18 shots the last half hour of daylight or so, Which I think to be poor sportsmanship deer hunters filling there tags early on? Sure it could be grouse hunters, small game hunters, predator hunters after fox.coyote etc... or even guys taking a few shots at a target just to see where there gun shoots, but I've hunted Rifle Zone my whole life and know what rilfes sound like and also good enough to know when a 'HIT" happens on a deer or they miss, some of you know what I'm talking about sound wise right?

Now with that said, not that shooting a deer rifle prior to season opening was leagle before this year X-ammount of days prior to season open, but my question is now with the new DNR LAWS in effect this year what are all these Poor Sportsmanship deer hunters going to do this year, it looks as if they will be stuck to a shotgun with grouse loads in or a .22 small cal rimfire.

I'll have to sit out again and count the rifle shots ths year and see if there's a difference or not, I doubt it!!

CURRENT LAWS ARE BELOW.

1. A person may take big game with a firearm only if the rifle, shotgun, or

handgun used is at least .220 caliber and with center-fire ignition.

2. Handguns or rifles capable of firing rim-fire cartridges of .17 and .22 magnum

cartridges may now also be possessed outdoors during the period beginning

the fifth day before the open firearms season and ending the second day after

the close of the season.

3. Possession of Firearms BEFORE, During, and After the Firearms Deer Season.

(Note: This section does not apply to the Muzzleloader Season, see

page 90, except that muzzleloaders legal for deer may be possessed only by

persons with a muzzleloader or firearms deer license during that season.)

No person may possess a firearm or ammunition outdoors during

the period beginning the fifth day before the open firearms season

and ending

the second day after the close of the season within an area

where deer may be legally taken by firearms (see page 31), except:• A person who has a valid firearms big game license in possession

may hunt big game during the open season with a firearm and

ammunition

authorized

for big game.

• Possession is also legal under these conditions:

a) An unloaded firearm that is in a case or in a closed trunk of a

motor vehicle.

B) A shotgun and shells containing No. 4 buckshot or smaller

diameter

lead shot or nontoxic shot.

c) A .22 caliber rimfire handgun or rifle with .22 caliber short,

long, or long rifle cartridges,

.22 magnum or .17 caliber.

d) Handguns possessed by a person with a carry permit.

e) On an authorized target range

This isn't anything new. The only new part you posted is in #1, where a 22 is an acceptable caliber for big game. Item number 3 is the same as it has been in regards to not allowing certain types of firearms/ammo during and before the deer season.

My exact point, I posted this same thing last year I belive on a different site and just got blasted by other posters that all the shooting was from Predator hunters using the .223, 22-250's etc.. well, this year should all be different right with predator cals all shooting as the sun sets on the Eve. before rifle opener. It pretty much doesnt' make a difference where you hunt, I've hunted Near Hinkley, Sandstone, Hillman, St. Mathias, Brainerd, Cross Lake, Pine River, Mille Lacs, Merrifield, Little Falls etc... over the years and there sure are a ton of Predator Hunters out there that Friday Night before that sun sets.

I am pretty sure the CO's are out cruising the roads listening as much as you are.

I hunt down in the slug area of SE MN. I used to hunt around Houston in the bluffs and every year, there were shots going off before 6am, and once the sun came up you would hear a rifle crack which could be a pistol loaded in rifle caliber, but I kind of doubt it.

I would call the local CO, maybe invite him to come sit in your stand with you, or at your camp and see what they think is going on. Could be they are in a different part of their zone when you are hearing this. CO's want to catch this kind of activity and put an end to it just as much as you want it stopped.

Yes it has to be an offical range not just your back feild. I have heard of pepole getting nailed for this before as they were truly sighting in there guns and the CO caught them because of someone that tipped them off. The CO's love it when you help them out.

I am usually bowhunting the night before firearm opener. I hear lots of shots. I think some of it might be poaching, but a lot of it is just people doing some last minute checks of their firearms before the season.

Quote:
i would think some people have morals and are out poaching

Care to edit that?

I would assume very few people are poaching, but I do here quite a few shots. Sometimes, its pretty dark.

Also, many people just get down to their sights, relatives, whatever. Sometimes they fire a shot just to make sure the scopes are on etc...