Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bogwalker

Deer Hunting Around TheTwin Cities.

18 posts in this topic

Im not from that area, nor would i ever EVER try to hunt that area but i would have to say your chances are slim to none. Theres gotta be 10,000 people from the cities wondering the same thing and driving around knocking on doors.. Its tough to get on decent deer hunting land out around here even in west central minnesota!

perch said it right good luck, i live outside of the cities and its tough, gotta find some public land and go way deep away from people is my best guess.

go early too. you cant camp out there, but i'd guess it would be legal if you go to a spot after midnight and parked there?? that still doesnt gaurantee nobody else will belly in right along side you..

With all the city people coming up here (many not getting their deer) more of us up north guys are going around the cities. More deer, bigger bucks, better tasting than north woods deer and liberal limits. It is not for the hunting experience it is to fill the freezer.

How's this for city deer - I've never participated in a city hunt but encountered this fella near the interstate late one night a few falls ago... I still get excited when I look at the picture.

citybuck.jpg

citybuck2.jpg

All you can do is ask. It never hurts and all they can say is NO!

I think the mind set of it being impossible to get a "yes" answer has set in for most.

If you ask metro area suburb farmers, they might just say "Yes".

If you get a no answer at first, ask about hunting for does only.

Also being sued is a concern for most now-a-days. If you made up a contract of sorts saying the land owner would not be responsible for injury's occurring on their land and that you have permission to hunt their land, this might help also.

Some farmers really do not care for deer and do not hunt them selves. They just might want some thinning of the heard that grazes their fields.

Now, privet large land owners (non-farmers), seem to be more protective of their land, but never rule them out. I hunt some private land up by Becker and all it took was to be polite, ask for permission, ask about any rules they have, be respectful of them and their property and offer them some meat from any deer you take. Also touching base with them through out the year is a good idea, until you get a hand full of years hunting their land under your belt.

Hunting private land does not always guarantee a deer. If you are the only person hunting a large section of land, you have to rely on natural movement of the deer, where’s public land your fellow hunters get the deer to move for ya wink.

Good luck!

The big thing is getting out and asking around. Typically you'll get more no's than anything. A big issue sis bow hunting or shotgun. Even some suburbs and exurbs has rules regarding discharging firearms and minimum land sizes. You have to check with each city or township.

Very good points Power Stroke wink

Check around in the Wyoming/Forest Lake/Columbus/Hugo areas. I have had alot of good luck finding private land in those areas. All you have to do is ask, the myth is that it is everyone will say no. I have gotten quite a few landowners to let me on bow hunting, in fact most everyone that I ask has said yes. Once you bow hunt a week or so ask if they have anyone out for slug season, that is usually when they have family out. Then ask if they mind if you hunt slug during the week, from my expirience the answer is generally yes.

Go get a plat book or just drive past good land and knock on doors and find out who owns it, if they'd be willing to let you hunt, then sell your case the best you can and you'll get some yes'es. If you still have trouble, PM me and Ill try and point you in the right direction.

The best deer hunting I have had in Minnesota is that Whitebear -> Wyoming area hands down. Plenty of deer, and a good number of good bucks.

I've always wanted to try right inside the metro, especially shoreview. I use to deliver papers there, and I couldn't count the bucks i'd see early in the morning, along with so many does it blew my mind. Alotta areas maybe 10-15 acres of woods/swamp. I know some people bowhunt the big area of woods by Vadnais Lake off Sucker Lake Road, but I know some cities will let you hunt some of those smaller spots to keep the deer population in check. Has anyone on here checked into that?

I never have, but down off East River Road by the Miss., south of 694, across from the old FMC, I have seen some monster bucks down that way.

Vadnais just had their bowhunt in the Vadnais/Sucker lakes park, I believe it was just this week. Through Metro Bowhunters Resource Base

I agree it doesn't hurt to ask. I live on a 40 in the northern/ rural area of Hugo. I have owned the property for 10 years and have not been asked 1 time for permission to hunt by anyone other than family or friends. I gotta think the perception that land owners are getting bombarded by requests may not be accurate. That being said, I am not looking for "askers". Our stands are taken.