Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CALVINIST

Unusual catch on topwater...

13 posts in this topic

I work at a clinic, and one of the radiologists I work with told me he was fishing for muskies using a Top Raider off his dock on Wopagasset lake in Wisconsin...he caught a 31" walleye! Said it smacked the topwater in 14"FOW. Said he has a picture, and will bring it in tomorrow. How cool is that?

That is cool. I've never experienced it but the muskie hunters on Mille Lacs can tell you all kinds of stories about that type of bite, especially when dark out.

Now that is very interesting! Never would've believe walleys would hit topwaters.

I've seen it in shallow water during the fall frog run. Twitching cranks on the surface works great. Saw one caught on a hula popper on a shoreline at night.

I pulled out some nice eyes earlier this season that had been tipped off to me by a friend bass fisherman. He was running some skitters and got tangled up with some real nice walleyes.

I do hear the stories if friends casting docs with bass rigs hitting walleyes by accident. They do like frogs!

yeah they like frogs, I caught a 25" eye a few years ago in pads with a soft plastic frog buzzed on the surface for bass after dark.

Also was fishing with a guy this summer that caught a walleye on a rebel popper.

And I got this walleye a few weeks ago, it his a 10" believer on the shallow eye and I was reeling it in like a topwater wobbler on the surface and this walleye crushed it less than 10ft from me! Most beat up, skinny, ugly walleye I've seen but it was 29.5".

fourthweek013sv8.jpg

I have several muskie baits thats boated a walleye, 1 a 9" dive& rise that landed me my best eye to date a 27" that hit at 1:30 in the afternoon. We have many more eyes follow to the boat a season that never eat to. We have also ha whole schools of perch chase baits in and watched a big gill come up and swat a cowgirl this spring.