Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CALVINIST

unusual catch on topwater....

26 posts in this topic

I work at a clinic, and one of the radiologists I work with told me he was fishing for muskies using a Top Raider off his dock on Wopagasset lake in Wisconsin...he caught a 31" walleye! Said it smacked the topwater in 14"FOW. Said he has a picture, and will bring it in tomorrow. How cool is that?

My 5 year old son and I have been doing a lot of musky/pike and bass fishing lately. He cracks me up when he says "lucky for us that fish sure are dumb. That way we can catch them on lures that don't even look like anything!" I used to see the Budweiser can crankbait in the Bass Pro Shop catalog and wanted to buy it and catch at least one fish on it.

My largest walleye ever (27") came while fishing for muskies with a bucktail.

The guy I was fishing with had caught a number of walleyes between 26" and 29" on various muskie baits that summer.

My cousin got a 15.5" crappie on a big muskie size bucktail trolling at a pretty high speed on his way back to the landing. Ive gotten quite a few big crappies on spinnerbaits and rapalas, but never a big bucktail!

Wow that is one impressive catch and a heck of a rare story to talk about for the rest of his life.

A good buddy of mine caught a 30" eye on a 12" suick, trolling it across the middle of the lake. He was just goofing around wasting time on the way back to landing, not putting any action on it or anything, over 40 fow, going at full throttle with his 4 1/2 hp motor on a 12' boat.

They hit topwaters, especially in the dark during a mayfly hatch. But there are always a few walleyes in the weeds (and I know quite a few of Wapogasset's walleye are in the weeds).

Caught this on Tonka a couple years ago chasing muskies with a spinner bait. Went 27 inches.

tonkawalleyemuskiefishing.jpg

27" at 1 pm on a wades wobbler working a weed edge. 21" on a DDD this year so far as well as several other walleye follows, yes they will follow a bait.

The one thing about throwing muskie baits, even if you catch the wrong species, chances are it'll have good size. Except pike, someone needs to tell the hammerhandles they shouldn't attempt eating the big baits.

When I was a kid, I caught a carp on a chunk of apple. grin

While trolling with a 4" floating minnow a few years ago, my wife got a huge bullhead.

i have caught alot of eyes on topwater. its different, but its alot of fun to get out there and stick a few biggens

I once got a nice walleye on Mille Lacs, about a 4-5 pound fish on a Suick (sp) I was working near the top in about 12 feet of water?

last summer I caught a 9 inch largemouth while throwing a super shad for pike and muskies. I swear the fish was the same size as the lure!

We were fishing the Miss. River below the Ford Dam, started catching walleyes on Zara spooks on the surface at nite. The largest was 26".

Not all that unusual, other than the time of year.

On "our" lake we catch walleyes on floating rapalas when the lake shiners are spawning, fished just below the surface.

An earlier poster mentioned the mayfly hatch, and that is a good indicator for lake shiners - at least where we are.

When I lived down in Nebraska - we used to catch quite a few cats on topwater bass lures on the country ponds. They will suck a scum frog right down like a big bass.

two years on Winne we were in 30+ft and my brother started to throw a white spinnerbait 1ft from the surface. Before i even had a chance to tell him that was crazy he pulled in a 24" walleye??? Completely confused i closed my mouth! In 95degree weather how could that walleye possibly come to the surface!

I work at a clinic, and one of the radiologists I work with told me he was fishing for muskies using a Top Raider off his dock on Wopagasset lake in Wisconsin...he caught a 31" walleye! Said it smacked the topwater in 14"FOW. Said he has a picture, and will bring it in tomorrow. How cool is that?

Should've twisted the story around in the usual fisherman manner:

"So I was fishing for trophy walleye off my dock in 14 FOW. Naturally my lure of choice was a topwater for that time of year. Caught a 31" walleye, which went exactly to plan. Sometimes I will catch the odd muskie with this same setup" wink

Once got a 12" crappie on a purple texas rigged lizard in 3 feet of water, it had the whole lizard just about swallowed down.

Also caught 2 jumbo perch in 10 minutes on a 7 1/2" culprit worm.

This summer mine son was casting with a 2" daredevil and caught a crappie.

You just never know.

I used to see the Budweiser can crankbait in the Bass Pro Shop catalog and wanted to buy it and catch at least one fish on it.

Had a friend of a friend nail a 5+ pound northern on the budweiser can.