• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

unusual catch on topwater....

CALVINIST

I work at a clinic, and one of the radiologists I work with told me he was fishing for muskies using a Top Raider off his dock on Wopagasset lake in Wisconsin...he caught a 31" walleye! Said it smacked the topwater in 14"FOW. Said he has a picture, and will bring it in tomorrow. How cool is that?

My 5 year old son and I have been doing a lot of musky/pike and bass fishing lately. He cracks me up when he says "lucky for us that fish sure are dumb. That way we can catch them on lures that don't even look like anything!" I used to see the Budweiser can crankbait in the Bass Pro Shop catalog and wanted to buy it and catch at least one fish on it.

A good buddy of mine caught a 30" eye on a 12" suick, trolling it across the middle of the lake. He was just goofing around wasting time on the way back to landing, not putting any action on it or anything, over 40 fow, going at full throttle with his 4 1/2 hp motor on a 12' boat.

Not all that unusual, other than the time of year.

On "our" lake we catch walleyes on floating rapalas when the lake shiners are spawning, fished just below the surface.

An earlier poster mentioned the mayfly hatch, and that is a good indicator for lake shiners - at least where we are.

two years on Winne we were in 30+ft and my brother started to throw a white spinnerbait 1ft from the surface. Before i even had a chance to tell him that was crazy he pulled in a 24" walleye??? Completely confused i closed my mouth! In 95degree weather how could that walleye possibly come to the surface!

I work at a clinic, and one of the radiologists I work with told me he was fishing for muskies using a Top Raider off his dock on Wopagasset lake in Wisconsin...he caught a 31" walleye! Said it smacked the topwater in 14"FOW. Said he has a picture, and will bring it in tomorrow. How cool is that?

Should've twisted the story around in the usual fisherman manner:

"So I was fishing for trophy walleye off my dock in 14 FOW. Naturally my lure of choice was a topwater for that time of year. Caught a 31" walleye, which went exactly to plan. Sometimes I will catch the odd muskie with this same setup" wink

Once got a 12" crappie on a purple texas rigged lizard in 3 feet of water, it had the whole lizard just about swallowed down.

Also caught 2 jumbo perch in 10 minutes on a 7 1/2" culprit worm.

This summer mine son was casting with a 2" daredevil and caught a crappie.

You just never know.