• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Handle....Check It Out

Here is the handle for my new Rainshadow XSB822.5(if you have not seen these, you need to get your hands on one)

6-14 LB

1/8-5/8 oz

6'10"

The reel seat is a ALPS triangle 13mm

Hand turned cork

Blank WT 1.65

IMG_2269.jpg

Yes........the blank is not made in the USA,but this new blended modulus design will give the (big guys) a run for there money.

Great price point and a limited lifetime warranty.

The ALPS RS is sweet, possitave locking and a great feel.

That is a very nice handle setup, looks good.

I have the same blank in the wrapper right now. Just need to get enough motivation finish it. Just need to wrap one more guided and do the but wraps. Just can't seem to get myself down in the workshop tho.

I like the handle setup. nice job

what is the difference between that setup and one where there is all cork. i have seen that style before but never knew anybody who fishes them. Is ther somebody in duluth that sells that blank?

IMO, It comes down to WT. I'm trying to cut every last possable tid bit of WT off to get the lightest finished rod possable.

The other reason I like the split grips is that the handle lockes in to your forarm when its under load. It feels more like a extention of my arm( and it looks cool with a wrap or lable in the gap)

The down fall is they don't work vary well in most rod holders.

I have a rod in the dryer right now and will post some pics in the forum as soon as it is cured enough to take outside and take a few pics. This one is on a rx7 822.5 and has split grips too. I am anxious to spool up a reel, mount it up, tie on a jig and go fishin grin

It is dry but I have yet to take pics. I have another one too. Work has been extremely hectic lately and the last rod I did was for a birthday present and the pressure was on, that is the reason I really don't hang out a shingle and make a business of this, takes the fun out of it.

Maybe later today, I worked from 8 am to 1 am yesterday and was back at 6 am checking on things. Kinda falls under the "you wanted to be the network engineer" category crazy

Same here. Between work and the Fall bite (research) its hard to find the time.

The last 2 months have had 3 rods in the works including the one from this post that I just finished the dec rap on.

It needs to get colder, so I stay home more smile

OK sitting here waiting for my fishing partner to show up so I have a few minutes.

Here are last couple I have been working on.

Lukes Mom is getting a nice birthday present. St. Croix 6 ft Med Lt. I guess I need to pay attention to my back grounds a bit more, got the darn garbage bucket in the pic Grrrr mad

P1010402.jpg

The butt wraps, I know nothing new here.

P1010414.jpg

Guide wraps have a little extra trim.

P1010412.jpg

This one is Mine! Rainshadow 6'10 RX7 822.5

The front handle. This is box elder and Birch Bark.

P1010415.jpg

The whole handle

P1010416.jpg

Yep this wrap is getting repititious grin

P1010417.jpg

And the guide wrap

P1010418.jpg

Quote:
Yep this wrap is getting repetitious

I envy your repetition... wink

Is it O K to use words like beautiful?

Your craftsmanship and talent and others on here has inspired myself to try my hand at this craft. I have a respect for you and the others who possess this talent as I will continue to try.

Thanks for sharing...

Thanks for the compliments. I got started rod building years ago. A guy I worked with built some of his own rods and said it wasn't that tough just to some time and patience. He gave me a little 5 page booklet that explained the basics and said he would answer questions as I went along. I built some way back then mostly Fly rods for Steehead fishing. Kinda gave up the hobby for a while and then took it back up about 7 years ago and got into some real custom stuff. Alot of the ideas came from others off the web.

The fancy stuff, I bought a book that explained the how the wraps worked and had some designs. The last one was a pattern that I found on the web and figured how it was wrapped and made my own changes to it. The handles I did some looking at other stuff and thought why just stick with cork or foam. I picked up a cheap wood lathe and made a few things to help make custom handles.