• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size shot for pheasants?

I also use #2 steel all season long, it has good knock down power at 35 yards and if they're close just wait wait wait to pull the trigger. And by using steel all season long I don't have to worry when I goto public land about swapping out shells.

Lead Shot

Early season - 2 3/4" #6 or #5 shot

Late season - 2 3/4" #4 - #2 shot

Steel

Early season - 2 3/4" #4 or #2 shot

Late season 2 3/4" or 3" in #2 shot

Whether it is lead or steel I found that I need to shot shells that are at 1450 fps or faster to consistently hit birds. I have apparently developed a shooting style based in 1500 fps steel shot shells and now I can only shoot the high fps lead as well.

I shoot skeet choke. Mainly just because most of my shots are within 20 yards and I have too many times tore a bird apart. That is just me, but I shoot a skeet. I just don't take long shots.

Really it depends on how your gun patterns. I use skeet, IC or modified - it depends. My over under is skeet / IC chokes and semi-auto is IC for most of the season. I at times change to modified for the late season birds, especially if pushing wind breaks or food plots with posters. Then oyu have a little range for those jumpy birds.

I use anything from 7.5 through 5 shot for lead and 2 or 3 shot for steel.

I use anything from cylinder to modified for chokes.

12 or 20 are the bores I use.

Pattern your gun to be most efficient at the 20-25 yard range and you'll kill more birds.

Don't shoot at birds out beyond 40 yards. 95% of the shooters out there (including me) have no business shooting at birds that are that far out. It's a recipe to wound and lose birds.

Magnums don't kill birds. Good, accurate shooting at reasonable ranges kills birds.

The only things a magnum hits harder are your shoulder and your wallet.

I think this was discussed about a year ago. If memorty serves me correctly, I think it was the DNR that did some kind of study and determined that #2 steel was the best all-around choice for pheasants in most situations when choosing steel shot. I think they looked at many factors including kill percentage, penetration, feather penetration (feathers being dragged into the wound), etc.

Bob