Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sheephead24

What size shot for pheasants?

15 posts in this topic

I picked up some 3.5 inch 2 shot steel, 1 3/8 oz. for ducks, will that work well for roosters also or should I downsize for them?

Thanks

thats a great load for later in the season when the birds are spookier. i start with 4's and use 2's later

2 3/4 inch 5s or 6s is perfect for early season. Later you may want to switch to 3 inch 5s or 4s. 3.5 inch is way overkill.

I use 2.75" and 3" No.2 steel all season long for roosters. Wouldn't go back to lead for nothing.

I also use #2 steel all season long, it has good knock down power at 35 yards and if they're close just wait wait wait to pull the trigger. And by using steel all season long I don't have to worry when I goto public land about swapping out shells.

Federal 2oz. Premium #6's should be outlawed smile

Steel gets the job done, but I seem to cripple more with it. #3's & #4's

Lead Shot

Early season - 2 3/4" #6 or #5 shot

Late season - 2 3/4" #4 - #2 shot

Steel

Early season - 2 3/4" #4 or #2 shot

Late season 2 3/4" or 3" in #2 shot

Whether it is lead or steel I found that I need to shot shells that are at 1450 fps or faster to consistently hit birds. I have apparently developed a shooting style based in 1500 fps steel shot shells and now I can only shoot the high fps lead as well.

I shoot skeet choke. Mainly just because most of my shots are within 20 yards and I have too many times tore a bird apart. That is just me, but I shoot a skeet. I just don't take long shots.

Really it depends on how your gun patterns. I use skeet, IC or modified - it depends. My over under is skeet / IC chokes and semi-auto is IC for most of the season. I at times change to modified for the late season birds, especially if pushing wind breaks or food plots with posters. Then oyu have a little range for those jumpy birds.

I use anything from 7.5 through 5 shot for lead and 2 or 3 shot for steel.

I use anything from cylinder to modified for chokes.

12 or 20 are the bores I use.

Pattern your gun to be most efficient at the 20-25 yard range and you'll kill more birds.

Don't shoot at birds out beyond 40 yards. 95% of the shooters out there (including me) have no business shooting at birds that are that far out. It's a recipe to wound and lose birds.

Magnums don't kill birds. Good, accurate shooting at reasonable ranges kills birds.

The only things a magnum hits harder are your shoulder and your wallet.

I shoot Improved Cylinder for choke. I only shoot steel and have had very good luck with that choke.

I think this was discussed about a year ago. If memorty serves me correctly, I think it was the DNR that did some kind of study and determined that #2 steel was the best all-around choice for pheasants in most situations when choosing steel shot. I think they looked at many factors including kill percentage, penetration, feather penetration (feathers being dragged into the wound), etc.

Bob

3.5 in is a little over kill i think but i think that a 3" shell of that shot would be just fine. it all depends on how your gun patterns. i would adjust your shot to that.