• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Low Profile Reel

HugoBox

I have a Curado 300 DSV and love it. Was thinking about getting a twin for it but thought I'd ask the rest of you if you like any of the other low profile options. This would not be for DCGs and other big stuff.

My abu revo sx is great so far but its only been in my hands for a year so far but i have 3 quantum accurist pt one is 3 years old and the other 2 are 2 years old and i use them alot and beet on them hard between pulling large cranks and throwing them into the bottom of the boat and tossing them on beaches cat fishing they still work like the day i got them. but i also hear nothing but good things for curados. hope i helped a bit

I really like my Curado 300 DSV. I finally bought a reel other than an Abu product, and without going into details, it sure is nice! I have used it for DCGs and it works just fine for them. It's not my primary reel for DCGs, but it will work. I have even used the super model with it, although not recommended. I put it on my bulldawg rod and it works like a charm. Just make sure the spool is full with line as much as possible, otherwise with the smaller spool line pick up can be slow. This reel is also discontinued, but they came out with a newer model that is pretty similar.

I am just getting into muskie fishing (can' believe how spendy lures are!). Do you feel the 6:1 ratio of the Curado 300 to be a little high for DCG, making it harder to work?

My Abu C3 (5:1) with a power handle seems to be much less work on the DCGs. I'm thinking that if there were a power handle option on the Curado, that it might crank easier - Anyone know if there is are any available for a Curado?

Hiya -

Get an Abu Garcia Toro. I've been using one since June, and it's tremendous. Basically it's a low profile with the same shape as a Revo, but with the line capacity of a 6500C. Comes in a couple different gear ratios, and comes in the box with a single-paddle power handle and a double paddle standard handle.

I've never been a big fan of low profile reels for muskie fishing, although the Curado 300 is decent, but the Toro, in my opinion, is a whole 'nother deal. I started out thinking it'd be a jig and topwater reel that I wouldn't use all that much, but by the end of the season, I was using it for all sorts of stuff. (Actually, to be perfectly honest, I was going to give it to my wife for 'her' reel. Glad I didn't or I'd never get to use it - heh). Really, it's a tremendous reel... Those of you who know me know I don't rave about products too often, but I will in this case...

In the interests of full disclosure, I work with Abu Garcia on editorial stuff but I'm not sponsored, not on their pro staff... I just like the reel.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

My brother steals my Curado (its the only way I can get him to fish skis) and he says its fine for DCG's. That said, he doesn't burn them and istn' fishing with it for 10 hours at a crack. I may just stay with what I like and pick up another one. I just wonderred what others were using. I saw the Maina one in BPS but don't know how proven it is?

I have a buddy who uses his curado for EVERYTHING, including the big bucktails. I think it's a lot of work pulling the double 10's in with it and will ultimately shorten it's life.

I love it for everything else though, looking to buy another one. Rob's got me thinking about a toro though...

The BPS maina reels are pretty decent. I use mine for jerkbaits mostly but the power handle will also help you winch in the DCGs and such. Along with the Curado my best reel is the Corvalus, usually available to $70 anywhere, great reel IMO.

Hiya -

Get an Abu Garcia Toro. I've been using one since June, and it's tremendous. Basically it's a low profile with the same shape as a Revo, but with the line capacity of a 6500C. Comes in a couple different gear ratios, and comes in the box with a single-paddle power handle and a double paddle standard handle.

I've never been a big fan of low profile reels for muskie fishing, although the Curado 300 is decent, but the Toro, in my opinion, is a whole 'nother deal. I started out thinking it'd be a jig and topwater reel that I wouldn't use all that much, but by the end of the season, I was using it for all sorts of stuff. (Actually, to be perfectly honest, I was going to give it to my wife for 'her' reel. Glad I didn't or I'd never get to use it - heh). Really, it's a tremendous reel... Those of you who know me know I don't rave about products too often, but I will in this case...

In the interests of full disclosure, I work with Abu Garcia on editorial stuff but I'm not sponsored, not on their pro staff... I just like the reel.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Well, that's a pretty solid endorsement coming from someone in the business......I'll take that to the bank.

I have a Curado 300 and really like it ( I was looking to add another), as I use it for small to mid-size bucktails, spinnerbaits, jigs, etc. I also used it for bass in the thick stuff....I really liked the power from a low-pro reel. Heck, I was even using it last week for sturgeon on the St Croix!

That said, I'm going to hold off and get a Toro over another Curado 300. The Toros are around the $270-$280 range, but a reel that versatile and smooth and solid is worth it to me.

Reasons why:

Versatility as I mentioned. Many presentations, multi-species.

Casting distance: These reels cast a long ways, more time the lure is in the water the better. I caught a couple fish on "bomb" casts a couple cranks into the retrieve, fish my lure (smaller buck) would likely not have reached with a conventional reel.

Comfort: 1/2 the weight of an Abu 7000, and they fit the hand well and reduce fatigue.

Gear ratios: Work a topwater any way/speed you want.

Rob, I'll send you the bill!

RK,

I am a memeber of the UW-Madison Fishing team and I recieve a discount on Abu Garcia Gear...I would like to ask you a few questions about what reels I should get for certain types of baits, not sure if I can ask them on this forum though...Can I admin?

If it can NOT be discussed on this forum, my email is [email protected] Thank you Croix!

RK,

I am a memeber of the UW-Madison Fishing team and I recieve a discount on Abu Garcia Gear...I would like to ask you a few questions about what reels I should get for certain types of baits, not sure if I can ask them on this forum though...Can I admin?

If it can NOT be discussed on this forum, my email is [email protected] Thank you Croix!

So....um....how many reels can you buy? wink

Hiya -

RU - I have the lower gear ratio reel, and to me that's the most versatile. Would let you pull baits that are a little harder pulling without killing yourself. I'm not a fan of high speed reels for muskies - too much work on anything but small baits. I don't know how much of a difference the high efficiency gears (it just took me 3 tries to spell 'efficiency' - good Lord do I need a cup of coffee...:)) make on the faster reel though, as I have only tried the lower gear ratio one.

Chris - Always happy to help you spend your money:) One thing your brought up that I didn't mention was casting distance. When I first tried the Toro I put on a Lilytail. They're the bellwether light muskie bait for me because they're wind-resistant as all get out and weigh next to nothing - they're murder to cast. I could launch the things... A synchronized levelwind really helps casting distance. Granted the rod was part of the equation, but I was really impressed with the casting distance. You can REALLY launch a walk the dog bait - heh...

Croix - as Chris said - fire away smile

Realized too I should have been a little more specific - I have the Revo Toro 60. It also comes in a 50, which might be a heck of a heavy pike/light muskie/heavy bass reel - but I haven't tried one...

cheers,

Rob Kimm

Again, cool deal on the fishing team, I'd love to start one up at work! Don't think that would fly though...

Lures: I like your idea of not adding the lures, many times we have the posts on "Top 5 Lures" and most of us will admit we could get by more or less on those. Case in point, RK just said he's had the same M&G spinnerbait on for three weeks! That says a lot to me.... I've probably used 10 lures 90% of the time this season. Granted I'm not a "switcher" but really I could in theory get by on 10 baits, replacement hooks/split-rings, etc.

Based on your Abu/St Croix discount I'll run with that.

Rods & Reels: St. Croix really did a nice job with redesigning the Premier series muskie rods, so well in fact that they're not doing the Avids for muskies now. They are really nice rods, they dropped a lot of the weight and "bulk" in the blank.

I have found the rod I'm using most is a Diamondback that would be similar to a 8'6" Tournament series in a MH action. It'll get a little spendy, but a Toro on that rod would be ideal. My Dback is a M action, as it has enough backbone but is still light enough to throw Lilytails up to Showgirls, but the MH would likely be more versatile.

Then look to a rod along the lines of a 8' H action Premier with a lower ratio like the 7000 you mentioned. That will work on the double blade baits and the heavy stuff, but not limit you entirely. The line retrieve per handle turn with a reel that size opens it up to many other uses.

Those two quality set-ups will cover you in most situations. For about $30-$40 you can get a servicable Shimano trolling rod (varying from the Croix theme a bit, sorry) that you could switch the 700 to and be covered for that method as well.

It's been said many times, but don't cut corners on a good net and a Knipex cutters, they are essentials.

Hope that helps, and fire back if you have more Qs. Good luck!

Thanks or the input cjac, I ended up getting the abu 7000c3i. Sound like you suggest a 8 foot heavy with that reel?

No worries, I got a fin saver net and all the esscential hook out tools. Have even piched the barbs on some of my lures.

Croix