• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

People shooting way after legal shooting hours last night on Pelican.

Last night we were at Pelican Lake, we got there about 3 PM to prepare for the first evening hunt of the season. We picked up and were out of our spot around 6:30, we had about a 20 minute walk back to the car, we heard a ton of shot well after the legal shooting hours. I got in the truck turned it on and the clock read 6:54 PM and people were still blasting away. I believe sunset was at 6:36 yesterday, so people we shooting 18 minutes after sunset. That is ridiculous,try following the rules like the rest of us, jerk-baits!!! I considered driving to the luanch and giving these jack@#$# a piece of my mind, but I figured all that is going to do is cause trouble so I have contacted the DNR to report the matter.

I think its just ridiculous how many stories on here start out with "I was out on Pelican"....

Its must just be a joke to try to hunt there. Must be like going to Carlos Avery for deer.

It make me soooo glad I move out of the cites (five year stint in the 'hole) to live in the great up nort'

My biggest concerns now are should I shoot deer, ducks, grouse, catch walleyes, muskies, or trophy smalleys before all those danged city guys get up here on the weekends and rile up the danged woods with their stupid wheelers and roadhunting. smile

I live near the lake and it is a convienent place to hunt between my trips to northern minnesota and North Dakota. Pelican is just a zoo. Nothing but skybusters and hunters that do not follow the rules and regulations. I would love to confront these people, but all that happens is tempers flare, and there could possibly be no good outcome. The best course of action would be for the C.O. to catch the people and issue citations, maybe it would decrease these events.

Happens all the time everywhere. I dont sweat minor stuff like that.

Exactly. Do you really think these "jerk-baits" that were shooting 18 minutes after sunset are reading this forum and know who you're talking to? Nearly every day somebody gets on this forum and screams about stuff they "heard" or "saw" where someone was breaking the law, good grief, get over it. It's old news. There are scum bags everywhere that are going to break the law every single day. If it bothers you that much then hang it up because it's likely to never improve and it isn't worth worrying about. With all the stuff in MN to hunt this time of year you'd think this forum would be full of stories, pictures, and useful information other than people complaining about stuff they can't control.

This shooting after hours and also before hours seems to be a developing trend, and it does not seem to be a one area thing.

So far on 6 seperate ocasions I have heard guns go off before and after shootin hours. All have been in differant regions from Cloquet to Marine to Lakeland

well i talked to rick rellar last night after he was done writing tickets out to a father and his 4 boys cause of shooting a half an hour after legal time. glad rick caught them!! he was tellin me he has been out around pelican every night since opener and has written at least 2 tickets for shooting after hours. i guess some people don't learn or needs to get it beatin in their heads when to stop shooting.

also i went out this morning and guess who i see rick rellar himself out in the boat glassing everyone. talked to him again and told me good job on id ing the can's that have been flying around. so everyone who hunts out their WATCH OUT FOR THE CANVISBACKS!! he told me that they are going to be out there all weekend checking people and watching them also.

so to everyone good luck this weekend.

well i talked to rick rellar last night after he was done writing tickets out to a father and his 4 boys cause of shooting a half an hour after legal time. glad rick caught them!! he was tellin me he has been out around pelican every night since opener and has written at least 2 tickets for shooting after hours. i guess some people don't learn or needs to get it beatin in their heads when to stop shooting.

also i went out this morning and guess who i see rick rellar himself out in the boat glassing everyone. talked to him again and told me good job on id ing the can's that have been flying around. so everyone who hunts out their WATCH OUT FOR THE CANVISBACKS!! he told me that they are going to be out there all weekend checking people and watching them also.

so to everyone good luck this weekend.

I am glad to hear some action is being taken.

Originally Posted By: SledNeck

Exactly. Do you really think these "jerk-baits" that were shooting 18 minutes after sunset are reading this forum and know who you're talking to? Nearly every day somebody gets on this forum and screams about stuff they "heard" or "saw" where someone was breaking the law, good grief, get over it. It's old news. There are scum bags everywhere that are going to break the law every single day. If it bothers you that much then hang it up because it's likely to never improve and it isn't worth worrying about. With all the stuff in MN to hunt this time of year you'd think this forum would be full of stories, pictures, and useful information other than people complaining about stuff they can't control.

"get over it" WHAT? I'm just suppose to let it blow over my head? People breaking the LAW is not something to srug aside! I will call the DNR or the police. Their is a REASON these laws are in place!

PLEASE call your CO or the Police!

Is this something we would teach our children?

That is why they have a TIP line. If you witness illegal hunting then you should call TIP immediately. Doesn't really do any good to come on this forum and complain about it. Call them in and do your part to clean up the trash in your neighborhood.

Only my opinion... I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill
Originally Posted By: SledNeck

"get over it" WHAT? I'm just suppose to let it blow over my head? People breaking the LAW is not something to srug aside! I will call the DNR or the police. Their is a REASON these laws are in place!

PLEASE call your CO or the Police!

Is this something we would teach our children?

So you're going to take it upon yourself to call in every single person you see or hear that are breaking the law? That alone would become a full time job on a daily basis with all the scum bags around. That's what I mean by get over it, you'll just drive yourself insane...and it's just not worth complaining about online which does absolutely nothing. Are you teaching your children to shoot after hours? If not, then they're not being taught by the random shots they hear in the distance after hours if you're with them teaching them the correct thing to do.

Good luck this weekend.

Quote:

So you're going to take it upon yourself to call in every single person you see or hear that are breaking the law? That alone would become a full time job on a daily basis with all the scum bags around. That's what I mean by get over it, you'll just drive yourself insane...and it's just not worth complaining about online which does absolutely nothing. Are you teaching your children to shoot after hours? If not, then they're not being taught by the random shots they hear in the distance after hours if you're with them teaching them the correct thing to do.

Good luck this weekend.

Based on your reply you think TIP is worthless.....just let them get away with it since you could not possibly make a difference?

Quote:
If it bothers you that much then hang it up because it's likely to never improve and it isn't worth worrying about.

IMO.....Interesting attitude you have toward our resources.

Shoot2kill

One Time in Sask I watched a bunch on MN hunters breast out a bunch of geese-literally a hundred geese mostly snows, but some canadas, and specks. Really thought nothing of it, it looked like they were within their daily limits. We asked them how are they planning on transporting them. They said they were giving them to a meat locker and gifting them to farmers. Guess what the next year MY hunting rights were threatened indirectly by their actions. Sask proposed rules on "gifting" birds, set season lengths by Non-res hunters, and requiring a guide for non-res hunters. I knew breasting out a ton of birds was slightly illegal. There is a reason why a law states a cleaned bird must be identifiable by wing/head-but I chose to look the other way. I guess the moral of the story is no matter how small of an infraction you may deem it--it is still wrong and it does affect other hunters directly. We were checked 2 days later by the Sask CO, and they reported that they had followed this group of Mn hunters for the last 2 weeks. They pretty much were shooting limits of ducks/geese everyday and for the last 2 weeks and "gifting" goose and duck breasts to farmers to help out feeding their farmyard cats/dogs over the winter. No matter how small of an infraction, don't just get over it, it could come back to haunt you.

would you call the DNR if you saw someone fishing with two rods?

Yes....for sure!

I got frustrated the last time I called TIP (for a guy fishing two lines plain as day near us) as I kept getting a busy signal......but it was opener day so I am sure they get a lot of calls that weekend. I tried about 15 times (while I kept fishing) and then gave up...but at least I knew I tried.

I would have called opener weekend of duck hunting this year also as some guys were shooting 5 min early...but I did not have my phone on me.

Every time the topic of TIP comes up I'm surprised and a bit saddened by the attitude of some of our outdoorsmen. Shouldn't we all be doing our part in trying to change things for the better on the water and in the field?

Quote:
Shouldn't we all be doing our part in trying to change things for the better on the water and in the field?

well some don't. A buddy told me that they talked to the CO and he wrote tickets to a group of hunters that shot after shooting hours ended and took their guns and ducks. Not sure what else happened. I guess it depends on every CO how they write the ticket or they may have done something else that I missed.

Quote:

Good luck this weekend.

Based on your reply you think TIP is worthless.....just let them get away with it since you could not possibly make a difference?

Quote:
If it bothers you that much then hang it up because it's likely to never improve and it isn't worth worrying about.

IMO.....Interesting attitude you have toward our resources.

Wish I could have responded sooner but I've been away from a computer for couple days. You know nothing about me, don't judge my attitude from 2 responses to an internet post. My entire point of this was that on this forum there are just guys that complain and wine all the time about stuff they saw/heard/etc. It does no good on an internet forum to complain about it. There is so much more to talk about this time of year. It just gets old, that's all. As far as you stating I think TIP must be worthless....I have used TIP 4 times in my life when I physically witnessed a blatent violation and was in a position to actually give facts so I understand what it is, what it is used for, it's effectiveness, etc.

Do you honestly think that with the limited resources available to the DNR that this kind of stuff is really going to improve? Really? I'd love to think so, but I know what they are up against - 2 of my best friends from college are DNR agents. They do a great job with what they have, but there is so much scum out there that don't give a rats butt that it is "likely" to never improve until there are a couple dozen CO's per county and that's just not going to happen. Go ahead and get worked up every single time you "hear" shots in the distance before or after hours, I just chose not to, that doesn't mean I don't respect our resources.

How bout someone post up some pics eh? That's what I think these forums are for - not to argue.