• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Launching from the Road

I've got one and love it. I'm planning a little trip and have been trying to do a little map scouting just to make the best use of my time.

I've noticed that some lake show boat launches. I've also noticed that most of the smaller lakes/marshes do not show boat launches on the map. If I find a lake that I like that has a road that goes right next to it, can I go ahead and launch my boat and park right there on the side of the road? Do some lakes have launches that aren't on the map?

I don't want to get yelled at by the local residents but would assume that this is alright to do. Has anyone done this and is it that big of a deal? Thanks.

Asked that question of a warden on opener. He was very vague and said it depended on if it was a township or county road. I was always under the impression if the water abutted the road right of way it was legal. If I were you I would call the dnr main office to find out for sure.

Best is to find the property owner and ask. Most people will help you out. However, if you want to go the road route, the key is road right of way which does vary between state, county, and township roads. If it indeed does abut, then you can legally float it. Parking is another issue though, as well as the ground under the water.