• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Service engine soon light

I filled up my tank the other day (Friday morning) and reset the odometer and proceeded to head out of town.

My service engine soon light illuminated about 15 minutes into my trip or 17 miles logged on the odometer. All gauges were normal and the rig is running fine and no different then before I filled it. I continued to my brothers in Becker, another 25 miles to pick him up and then continued to Mille Lacs with out any problems.

I explained to my brother what was going on and he said that he has the same problem with his Chevy pick up. He said let's go and worry about it later.

Well, it's 324 miles later and the light is still on without any noticeable performance or running issues. It's a 2000 GMC Yukon XL 5.3 with just over 150,000 miles and still purring along liked a well tuned watch. All maintenance is preformed on schedule...

Any thoughts or advise?

Thanks...

After you check to cap it may take several drive cycles for the light to reset if that was the problem. Otherwise if you check with your local parts store they may scan/clear the codes for free. Make a note of the codes they find. If the light comes back on after the codes are cleared there is another problem!

I know AirJer will cringe grin, but since the light came on so close to a fill up, no running concerns are present, one could disconnect the battery for about 10-15 minutes and clear the codes. Drive the rig and see if the light comes back on. If the light comes back on, then you know it is an issue you need to further diagnose.

The only draw back is you will not find out the error code that caused the light to come on in the first place