• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minn Kota Maxxum vs Edge vs All Terrain??

CrappiesNeyes

Question

6 answers to this question

I have a Maxxum 74 pound bow mount with universal sonar. I couldn't be more pleased. It runs off of a 24 volt system which takes up a little more room in the boat, but it is totally worth it. I would not buy one without that universal sonar.

FYI I switched from a wireless foot pedal model from a competitor brand.

Everyone I know that has the Maxxum raves about it. The Edge is a good motor too and not as expensive, but the Maxxum is decked out with more features. The Maxxum has the stronger mount and lift assist, universal sonar on some models, the maximizer feature for infinite speed adjustment and more life out of your batteries, and a longer warranty.

You can check them out here if you want:

Pro Fishing Supply Bow Mount Trolling Motors

I think the Maxxum is an awesome motor. However, one thing to consider is how you fish. The stearing for the Maxxum is a cable system, which is very nice. However, the cable is only three or four feet long, which pins you in the front of the boat. I run my boat from the back and need the long cord of the electric motors to manage everything from the back. Not ripping the Maxxum at all, but different fishing situations dictate the need for another option.

The scissors-style mounts make it a lot easier to stow and deploy (unlike the powerdrive units). Boats with a casting platform pretty much level to the side of the boat (aka bass boat) make stowing/deploying a powerdrive series difficult. PD units are as difficult with deep V's.

Maxxum has variable-speed and a better mount. The lift-assist is now only on the Fortrex. (The Max Pro has been discontinued for 2009.) The Max series tops out at 101# thrust on 36-v.

The Edge has a less robust mount, 5-speed motor, and tops out at 70# thrust (24-v).