Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bass Whacker

musky behavior?

4 posts in this topic

So i was out on a lake for the second time today but a totally different time of the year from the first time. Bot times I was out there were multiple muskies swimming around with thier heads out of the waterand thier mouths wide open. We've only ever seen them doing it on this lake and only around these two reed islands on the lake. I was just curious if anyone knew why they did it because I've never seen this before in prolly 10 years of musky fishing.

I've seen it a few times in the past. I usually see it happen during the middle of summer on hot days. However, other people have witnessed it happening during the cooler months also. I have heard others say that they do it when they have something stuck in their throat and they are trying to swallow or dis-lodge that object. That very well could be why. I don't think anyone knows for sure. Also, you can try the search feature on this site for more info. because I remember this topic coming up before.

Pitch a top water at them, i've converted at least 5-6 fish this year with a creeper or hawg wobbler when they're doing this.

i tried to throw everything i could think of to get one to bite but they just dont care we had the boat with in 6 feet of one that prolly would have just broke the 40 mark befor it swam off. But thanks alot on the quick answer it had been bugging me all summer seeing this.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• For many years my dad, uncles, etc have been heading to the Leech Lake area every spring and fall to fish for walleyes. There are usually 8-10 guys that go. Many of them are from the Barron, Wisconsin area. Since I've never really fished in Wisconsin, thought it might be fun to head to there one of these trips. Have always heard the Hayward area is pristine. Does anyone have a favorite lake, or possibly a favorite resort in the area I should add to the list when doing some research?  Walleyes are thing these guys are after.   I know there is a Wisconsin form, but it seems kind of quiet over there, so I'm hoping to get some opinions here.    
    • Well except for the owner. He's kinda ancient!!   We did the same thing with the frig to Dave on the first camper we had.
    • New!  The Rebco CH-100 multi-directional antenna with Pow-r-boost!! Less than 0.01 THD! Universal fit! Unbreakable! Weatherproof!  Doubles as a coat hanger! Listen to all yer favorite polkas or love songs for a fraction of the cost! Bring in yer favorite stations crystal clear, from as far away as Rangoon!  Only $9.99 plus S&H. BUT WAIT, call now and get two for........                     Ya, I think they already did!!!  
    • This will get you under the G-door!   I know late to the game but the way this is going does it matter?        ZHOL® NEW Am-fm Hidden Windshield Antenna Car Radio Truck 3.4 out of 5 stars 423 customer reviews | 14 answered questions Price:$7.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details In Stock.   New proprietary design that enhances performance with unique MICO Screen element. Small and sleek so you can stick it anywhere in almost any vehicle Ground independent ZHOL is the Amazon registered brand,This product is not allowed without ZHOL    
    • I've done a few things to the old camper in the last few weeks.   First I replaced the old crank jack with a new electric jack.     Then the cooling unit on my fridge went out so I ended up just replacing the 6 cu. ft 2 way fridge with a 9.9 cu. ft. residential electric only fridge.   Next order of business is new tires. Blew one out on the way to Zumbro Falls this weekend    Pretty soon everything on this camper will be brand new! 
    •   Well I never!!!    Caught one that nice!
    •   Del be fightin' with himself again. He likes that. 
    • I now boys fight Nice!!
    • Its a great house. Yep its heavy, yep the cover is bulky compared to a single layer, yep I'd buy it again. You can always pull down a zipper or 2 (front and back doors) if you get hot. For what its worth I switched from a Clam Yukon TC (normal sides with a insulated top) both are a similar size. On below zero days in the clam I would have to use a big buddy. In the otter I use a buddy and rarely turn it on high.
    • Ya, right. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA   From a car audio site....MOTORHEADS talkin'...   FlyinMiata9,
      A shorter antenna mast captures a smaller portion of a radio broadcast station's travelling radio wave. That results in reduced radio reception capability. The reduced radio reception capability may never be noticed if only listening to nearby radio broadcast stations in the city. 

There's no overall magic of one short antenna over another. There are some that include a signal amplifier. They can at times enhance more distant radio receptions, but usually degrade other radio reception situations, often those where there are multiple strong radio signals in the reception area.

The overall disadvantages of antenna amplifiers for car antennas tend to be far more predominant than advantages. There are some radio signal amplifiers for car antennas that automatically switch "off" when operated in a strong signal area. That can assist clearly listening to the nearby strong radio stations, but reduce the prospect of listening to any some distance away.

There's always a prospect of the antenna you installed being defective, or not installed properly well mounted to the car's fender for a good electrical radio reception ground plane. Check to make sure the in-line Motorola connector set is fully pushed-in inserted together. 

A simple way to test the antenna line and system is to tune in a weak AM radio station in the daytime and then grab hold of the antenna mast to detect stronger and louder reception of that weak AM radio station. Your conductive body mass adds some to the short antenna's reception capability. There may also be an initial "thump" sound as the car's radio makes an automatic adjustment of its radio reception sensitivity. If there's no dramatic change in weak AM radio reception, look for an open or shorted electrical problem. Best bet is a full length proper antenna.
  • Our Sponsors