• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how do you get by on the cheap?

hulk

Always check the clearance bins and buys stuff out of season. Right now you should look for Open water tackle and in spring buy your ice fishing tackle...

Just picked up 6 crank baits out of the bargain bin at Gander the other day.

That on-line auction place has some deals from time to time also.

I like to paint my own jigs and make my own rigs. I get a bag of 25 unpainted jigs for a buck at bass pro and paint them myself.

I live a block from the Mississippi and it has taken a lot of tackle. so the cheaper, the better.

I also figuered out the river is pretty much 7 feet at the deepest point where I fish so I use lots of very shallow running lures (i.e. shallow shad rap, sub-wart, spinnerbaits). They got lots of action and don't hang up nearly as much.

I keep it on the cheap by keeping "old school"- basic hook, line and sinker kinda setups, using secondhand gear, shopping C***gslist, clearance bins, catching my own bait, that sort of thing. I've also found that the right $20 rod works just as well as a $200 dollar one under 99.98% of circumstances.

for what it's worth, my sonar is a first generation GreenBox!