• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappy weather and even Crappier hunter ethics

Here's a press release from PF that's right on the subject.

Hunters Receive Good News about CRP Going into Pheasant Hunting Season

Announcement includes updated soil rental rates and added incentives for allowing hunting access to CRP lands

Saint Paul, Minn. - October 14, 2008 - Pheasants Forever was pleased by three recent major announcements related to the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) announced by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). First, the USDA launched new incentive payments for landowners who open up their CRP to public access. Second, the USDA announced it has updated CRP soil rental rates. Both announcements came in a week when the USDA also released a study highlighting the immense benefits of CRP.

USDA Launches Public Access Incentive for CRP

At the White House Conference on Wildlife Policy in Reno, Nevada, Vice President Dick Cheney announced a new incentive payment through the CRP to landowners who allow public hunting access on their property. Landowners who are enrolled in CRP will now be eligible for a $3 per acre incentive if they sign on to their state's hunting access program; the incentive is expected to open an additional 7 million acres of quality wildlife habitat for hunting. USDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA) will announce signup for the public assess incentive in the near future.

"Without access to places to hunt, there will be an erosion of people who go hunting - this is one of the most fundamental issues we face today," commented David Nomsen, Vice President for Government Affairs with Pheasants Forever/Quail Forever. "Enhancing a program like CRP that has been so successful at protecting critical wildlife habitat by encouraging landowners to open that land for hunting is a major victory for sportsmen and women."

The goal of this incentive is to double public access by providing up to 7 million acres of CRP land for public access in the next 5 years in participating states. The CRP public access incentive permits partnerships with existing state public access programs to identify and mark tracts of land as publicly accessible and publish maps for hunters and recreation enthusiasts. The incentive is consistent with current state public access incentives and will enhance the ability of state game departments to use hunting seasons as a wildlife management tool. The CRP public access incentive will be limited to CRP participants in the 21 states that already have public access programs. These 21 states are: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington and Wyoming.

The CRP public access incentive will be limited to CRP participants in the 21 states that already have public access programs. These 21 states are: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington and Wyoming.

No MN.... frownmad

I disagree, and this whole thread bothers me.

Minnesota has a whooping buttload of of public land. It's a big state. Some is managed for waterfowl, some is managed for upland game, some is managed for big game, some is managed for all of the above. Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited, Minnesota Waterfowl Association, and a gob of other groups including local sportsmans clubs do a great deal to maintain public hunting land, and acquire more hunting land for the general public.

I understand there are population variations all over the state compared to availiability of land. Of course around the metro area public hunting land is going to be harder to find than, say, out in the middle of nowhere. It comes with the territory.

This isn't a topic about the availablity of hunting land, this is a topic about people being respectful of each other. I do not have problems with others out there hunting, but I've heard the stories. It's really no different than another topic in another forum about fishing around waterfowlers. It's all about common courtesy for each other, and getting over the me first selfish ways. It's too bad that people have problems with others out in the field. It can ruin the experience, but take a deep breath, count to ten, and enjoy the day.

I believe if you consistantly treat others well and with a good amount of respect, the same will be returned to you. As sportsmen we should all be that way. It's a darn shame all we hear about is the 2%'ers and not the guys that stopped to help change a tire, find a lost dog, give directions, hand out a few shells cuz someone forgot theirs, pull a truck out of the mud, just give a friendly wave..........which happens most of the time.

I had an interesting situation this weekend. I arrived at the public hunting area shortly after 8. It is a small area that is bordered on two sides by road and the other two sides by private land.

There is one parking area that is in the middle of the area on one of the sides bordered by a road. Many times I have parked in this spot, start hunting at 9 only to be cut off by someone who quick parks along the road and jumps down the boundary in front of me. So when I started walking the line on Saturday only to see two trucks now parked on the side of the road I immediately thought they were going to do the same thing. I kept walking toward the boundary and when I got about 50 yards from it I turned to parallel it. As I am doing so I hear "don't think about coming on my land" from one of the guys along the road. I replied back that I had no intentions of walking onto the private land and he shouldnt worry about it since I wasn't doing anything wrong. He said, "I do worry about it". My dog was working between me and the line about 20 yards from the boundary. He yells, you better get your dog back he is getting close to my land. I said he is not on your land and if he would get closer I have a collar that will convince him to come back. He then yells at his buddy asking him if he has his cell phone ready.

I was thinking [PoorWordUsage]! I wasn't doing anything wrong, I was near, but not closer than 20 yards from the line, which I had every right to walk right up to, but I didn't. I am getting the 3rd degree from him the whole time. So then I said, if you want to be worried about anything he should be worried about properly posting his land because it was not properly posted. The signs were not 500 feet apart and they were not signed, dated or new from this year. I said go ahead and call whoever you are going to call, #1 I am public land, not your land, #2 even if I was on your land it isn't posted properly so all you could do is tell me to leave. Right after I said this one of them shoots a rooster while standing in the middle of the road. All the while they have two young kids with them, younger than 8 or 9. Nice example.

So I zig zag back and forth through the area and head back toward the line and they were hiding behind some trees. I am guessing they thought I couln't see them in their blaze orange and were trying to catch me cross the line. I asked him if he slept at night because he sure was paranoid.

I know I should have just left him have his say, but it really [PoorWordUsage] me off that I was getting blasted for something when I had no intentions of doing anything wrong and I wasn't even that close in the first place. Sorry, had to vent.

Well said boilerguy. Just the kind of man I'd like to go on a hunt with.

I went on my first Pheasant hunt this weekend with Boilerguy.

We were finishing off our final line on some public land and noticed that we had “painted ourselves into a corner”. There was a wide creek in front of us that ran to the road. We couldn’t cross to the public land because of the depth of the creek, and following the creek to the road put us on private land.

Instead of walking the measley 75 ft over private land, we hoofed it back through "Ninja grass" about a mile to the creek crossing.

It was very tempting, but Boilerguy took the lead and said, nope we are not going on his land without an OK.

Set a good example for me the newbie.

Captainmusky, you and Dtros posts go hand in hand.

While I don't agree with the actions of the landowner, I surely can understand their frustration. I'm fairly positive the landowner has had his share of trespassers in his history, especially with his land bordering public.

We NEED to be respectful of each other. Not only other hunters in the field but the landowners out there also. Otherwise, this great sport we have will slowly and surely disappear.

If it takes a hike through ninja grass to not trespass then that's exactially what you do.

You don't do the right thing because others may be watching, you do the right thing cuz it's the right thing to do.

Captainmusky, you and Dtros posts go hand in hand.

While I don't agree with the actions of the landowner, I surely can understand their frustration. I'm fairly positive the landowner has had his share of trespassers in his history, especially with his land bordering public.

We NEED to be respectful of each other. Not only other hunters in the field but the landowners out there also. Otherwise, this great sport we have will slowly and surely disappear.

I too am sure he has had a fair share of people walking across his property, but like I said, he didnt have to accuse me of it if I hadnt even done anything wrong. I would be frustrated if I had people trouncing around through my land, but not everyone does it so I shouldnt pass judgement on everyone that passes along. Plus, what example is he setting for this kids? Shooting a rooster while standing on the road right next to his vehicle? Come on. Poor attitude and very poor safety and hunter ethics.

I believe if you consistantly treat others well and with a good amount of respect, the same will be returned to you. As sportsmen we should all be that way. It's a darn shame all we hear about is the 2%'ers and not the guys that stopped to help change a tire, find a lost dog, give directions, hand out a few shells cuz someone forgot theirs, pull a truck out of the mud, just give a friendly wave..........which happens most of the time.

The world would be a much better place with more people that thought like that. smile

When is the last time the arts,opera or some museum orgaization donated money for clean water or wetlands or to improve hunting areas??

This is'nt the best we can do!! I'm for clean air, clean water, improve lands for hunting. But I think some of these rich pompus people should fund all of their own things they like to do. Anyone remember Carl Polad?? Owns the team and blackmails everyone about moving the team or selling it, till he gets a new statium from the tax payers., and he only has to put up 10%. Greed!!

Where did all the money go from MINN. state lotery, Not where it was suppose to go. I say VOTE-NOOO!!!

Wait it out untill someone has the b--ls to submit a bill with only what sportsman want in the bill, not some worthless garbage or pork added in so WE HAVE NO CHOICE!!!

Transpotation bill:::- LIGHT RAIL, Just another bad choice, or should I say bad vote!!

The arts and junk get about $5,335,000 million per year for 25 years, thats about $135,000,000.

But if you LOVE the Opera vote ya, and take your wife to the opera after a days hunting or fishing!!

I was out at a WMA last night. Figured Id get there around 4ish, make a walk thru the grass and possibly kick up a pheasant or 2, then as the sun proceeded down I would switch out and do some bow hunting. When I arrived a car pulled into the access and 2 young teenagers get out and proceed into the field. I am all for sharing hunting opportunities on public land as everyone has a right to be there. What was irritating was the fact that these youngins were more interested in blasting anything that moved. Within a one hour period they had shot at least 40 times at nothing, or tweety flying by. It was quite upsetting as most hunters use the WMAs to actually hunt and do it respectfully with others around. These kids were just shooting for the sake of shooting.

Is it just me or is this behavior very rude and disrespectful? I felt like strangling someone.

Not only is that rude it is very illegal..Indesciminant shooting is unlawful on WMA's. No trap or target shooting is allowed..and I'm sure that includes tweety birds trees and whatever else theese guys were shooting at. Best thing to do would be call TIP so as not to get in trouble for strangling someone. Did you get there plate # ??

When is the last time the arts,opera or some museum orgaization donated money for clean water or wetlands or to improve hunting areas??

This is'nt the best we can do!! I'm for clean air, clean water, improve lands for hunting. But I think some of these rich pompus people should fund all of their own things they like to do. Anyone remember Carl Polad?? Owns the team and blackmails everyone about moving the team or selling it, till he gets a new statium from the tax payers., and he only has to put up 10%. Greed!!

Where did all the money go from MINN. state lotery, Not where it was suppose to go. I say VOTE-NOOO!!!

Wait it out untill someone has the b--ls to submit a bill with only what sportsman want in the bill, not some worthless garbage or pork added in so WE HAVE NO CHOICE!!!

Transpotation bill:::- LIGHT RAIL, Just another bad choice, or should I say bad vote!!

The arts and junk get about $5,335,000 million per year for 25 years, thats about $135,000,000.

But if you LOVE the Opera vote ya, and take your wife to the opera after a days hunting or fishing!!

"Wait it out" is the best advice that you would give for something to happen to save our enviornment? Unfortunately, this has not worked in the past. Sportsman seem to fight among themselves more than any other group, and that is why things don't get done and funding is drying up for the very things that all of us on a forum like this enjoy. The lottery money went to the general fund and gets distributed to the people with the best lobbyists. Not what was promised. Guess what folks, we don't have the best lobbyists!! This addendum tackled that issue upfront with the formation of a citizens council that would distribute the funds earmarked for the outdoors. It would be made up of 8 citizens and 4 legislatures with a majority rule in place. People seeking re-election and pork money for their districts would never be able to have a majority, citizens would. Please research the Missouri model, which this idea was born from, it has been very successful and there wildlife is the best it has been in the modern era down there.

There are obvious flaws with this addendum, including the arts. Fact is, without the arts piggybacked on the bill, it would never be at this point. It is a necessary evil. This vote is critical for our way of life as sportsman in MN. If you enjoy spending time outside in our beautiful state, please vote yes, or your days of enjoing it will be limited, or there will be nothing to pass on.