• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lots of corn,,,,

Very tough hunting this weekend. There is standing corn everywhere I hunt and there are no plans to harvest it next couple weeks because of wet soil and the corn isn't ready. I ran 2 to 3 dogs all day Saturday and we only put 1 rooster and 1 hen up. (I did get the one rooster) I hunt in the Regal area and its looks like the bird numbers are down right now, but with all the corn its hard to tell for sure. Should make for good late season hunting since the roosters will make it through the early hunting crowds. I thought I would have saw more hens anyway, because late last year I was seeing 100's of pheasants in the fields. Time will tell I guess.

I have to agree with you 2thepointsetters....

Too much corn! I hunted today and came up empty-handed. Even the dog was wondering what we were doing out there. Most of the area farmers I talked too were just starting or halfway thru harvesting beans, they won't touch the corn for another couple of weeks and only if the weather holds. Seeing the newscast tonight it doesn't look to promising on the weather front.

Oh well, Perhaps November will bring some success.

I have heard stories similair to this all weekend of people hitting it hard in the morning and coming up empty-handed.

Anyone try hunting later like the last two hours of daylight?

Just curious if some have found success with this time of day with so much crops still in the fields...

Redbeard

Between the temps and the amount of standing corn, I did not even hunt. Sounds like I made a pretty good call on that one. Now I can bank this unhunted weekend for a better one in the future.

These hot temps are crazy. With the heat and wind down here, it should have help dry the corn some. I usually start my serious pheasant hunting after the gun deer seasons close.

Anyone try hunting later like the last two hours of daylight?

Just curious if some have found success with this time of day with so much crops still in the fields...

smilesmile Yes. smilesmile If you have nothing better to do, hunt all day, you might find a few straggler birds but in my opinion you're better off to hunt the first two hours and then the last hour. If you're by a big cornfield, in that last 1/2 hour you can't cover enough ground. Or if its a small cornfield next to the grass, I've been known to sit down with my dog and take a 10-15 break, watching the sunset, when the sun hits the horizon, time to go after them!!

I agree there is a lot of corn out there. Makes the hunting really tough, just like late season. My dad and I hunted hard for most of Saturday, ended up with 3 roosters. On Sunday we got one in the morning and then we got one more in the afternoon. They were very young birds, not very much color.