• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rem 1100, semi-auto?

Chapo

My son acquired a Remington 1100, 20ga., 3 inch, semi-auto, gas operated. The gun will only cycle the heavier loads. When you shoot 2 3/4, 1oz. shot the gun will not cycle. Is there any modifications or a lighter load that will cycle? Thanks for your help.

I would take it to a gunsmith and tell him about the probleam.

Pay him to take it apart for a good cleaning. I shoot an 1100, too and had a similar problem. I keep my guns clean but a professional cleaning paid off for me.

tweed

I have the exact gun, a 20 gauge 1100, bought it new and it also wouldn't eject low base shells. Took it to a gunsmight and he did something - I don't know what - and now it does eject low base shells.

Also learn how to take off the forearm and clean it, especially the rings and rubber o-ring, I use gun solvent. Do that on a regular basis and it'll shoot great for you. I do that to my 12 gauge 1187 and love that gun!!

It more than likely has to do with how the 2 stainless steel rings are configured on the magazine (found under the forearm). People clean the gun, and fail to re-assemble it correctly.

You can download an 1100 manual off of the internet if I'm not mistaken.

i've got the same gun. great gun. also have problems with it ejecting low base shells. so now i shoot high base instead, has never jammed since switching. no need to go to a gunsmith, just shoot high base.

I think eveyone that has ever owned an 1100 has had some sort of jamming issue. I have an 1100 that does the opposite, 2 3/4 shells eject fine but 3in shells jam. Had it to a gunsmith to. I just shoot 2 3/4 out of it for slug hunting. Very common problem with the 1100.

morefish hit it on the head. At one point my father & I owned 3 of those jamming devils back in the late 70's - early 80's. Shoot one until it jams and trade it out for a clean one...

I switched to an 870 for years and swore I would never own another autoloader. Since the newer autos, the old Wingmaster hasn't left the gun cabinet for many years.

I have a 3 inch 1100 and it's so hard I feel like a gorilla after a couple hours in the field. Short base never want to go through it.

FYI if the gun has a full choke you probably should NOT shoot steel out of it. I think there is a tendency to bulge. I had a very good gunsmith put screw in chokes in mine. It was tough and I'm not sure everyone can do it.

If you continue to use the gun you may want to outfit it with a sling so the kid doesn't become a knuckle dragger.

One quick fix to try is the small holes in the bottom of the barrel, around the ring that attaches it to the magazine tube. Make sure they are clear.

I must be one of the lucky ones who is very satisfied with my 1100's, all 6 of them (12, 2 16's, 20-LT, 28, and .410)....But I do acctually clean mine, and not just a quick wipe down. They are finicky little guys and the whole action needs to be cleaned and lightly oiled.

The 20 ga probablly does not have a full choke, check the barrel, it will say on the side. My 12ga does have a fixed full choke. Both 16's and the 20 and Imp Cyl. and I have a Mod barrel for the 16's as well. Depending on the age of the gun it may have screw in tubes, ie RemChoke.

my 20 guage 1100 has full,mod, imp.cyl chokes, all of which interchangable. not aftermarket. doesn't shoot 3 inchers, only stamped for 2 3/4. am told by pro shops that an 1100 20g with interchangable chokes is a more, "less seen" gun. I was going to trade it off, and they were going to give me 400 bucks on trade. Being as i paid 300 for it, i figured what the he11. But, i realized way trade, just add to the colletion, not make smaller. They made it seem like a rare gun.

Thanks for the info, the gun is a 3" with a full choke. The gun use to be his grandpa's and I remember he went through the time of putting the rings in backwards and no shells would eject. The gun is stripped down entirely at each cleaning. Is there anything anyone uses to throughly clean the gas hole under the barrel?

My 20 ga. 1100 also has the choke tubes. At first I used it with the Full tube and couldn't hit anything with it, then I went to the Modified tube, which has helped a lot. Its a nice gun, it will be my main gun in SoDak for pheasant hunting, mainly because I want to use up some of the lead high base shells that I've stocked up on, before they are banned.