• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV trailer ?'s

hanronson

I am planning of getting a new ATV and trailer and have some ?'s about trailers. Should I buy steel or aluminum? I will be using the ATV year round but mostly for ice fishing. Steel trailers are cheaper but they rust. Aluminum trailers are more expensive but don't rust. Also, can I fit my Trap Pro behing the ATV on a 5x8 trailer or should I gete a two place trailer? I will be pulling the rig with my car, so I don't have room for the Pro in my car. I am planning on hooking the trailer up to the ATV when I get to the lake and putting the Pro and all my gear on it.

I have looked at many different ATV models and have decided to get the 09 Honda Rancher AT and put chains on the back when I go ice fishing.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Ron

I have a 6.5 x 12 that I load the Mule on and can put my X2 on sideways in the back of the trailer.

You may be able to do the same thing with a 6.5 x 10 which isn't very much larger than the 8'. If your going to use it in winter, aluminum would be better for rust. But if you go with steel and take it to the wash after each outing it may not rust...other wise you will be repainting it every couple years if you dont wash it.

Any of the steel trailers you get from some of the box stores are covered with a cheap layer of paint and will rust very fast. If you can, bite the bullet and go with a goos quality aluminum trailer with the torsion axle suspension. Avoid leaf springs if possible.

I have a 2 place Triton, ATV88, I believe is the exact model. It will fit 2 atv's but u have to drive them on sideways. It has a ramp that stores underneath and you can use it for driving on the back for just 1 atv, or sideways for 2. There would be no problem fitting your trap pro on this trailer. I chose this because it's the smallest size that you can fit two ATV's on (storage being my main concern here). It is super light and I would definately buy this one again if I did it over again. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Long story short, aluminum, torsion axles, and big enough so you don't have to buy a different one when you get a different vehicle. Buy good now instead of junk now and then good when you realize the difference. Saves more $$ for more toys.

I have an 8.5x10 aluminum tilt bed. I would definitely get an aluminum and I agree with LEP7MM that the torsion axle is the way to go. If you look hard and take your time, you can find a good deal. Mine is around a 2000 Polaris/Featherlite, with salt shield and I got it for a steal at $600. I put my sportsman on one side and my frabil on the other. Fit's perfectly. The one thing I'd suggest is if you're pulling with a car or smaller vehicle, try to get a narrower/longer trailer. This will allow you to (maybe) see around it with your mirrors, plus give you the ability to drive the wheeler and house onto the trailer when you're done. Leave it hooked to the wheeler, one additional strap to the house, (strap the wheeler as well) and away you go. I have to unhook mine, then lift/push it onto the trailer once the wheeler is loaded.

I just replaced a 6x12 steel trailer with a two place all alum side loader. 400# of alum trailer vs.1200# of wood and steel. Sure makes a difference to move. My steel trailer was from a big box store. It had no primer under the thin coat of paint. Had to sand it and prime and repaint it after only 2 years and I never pulled it in the salt. Aluminum was spendy but I'm set for life.

Thanks guys for all the input. I bought a 2009 Honda Rancher AT with a new Triton XTV 4X8 aluminum trailer. There is not enough room behind the ATV for my Trap Pro but there is for my Clam Jr., which also fits in the trunk of my car. The XTV only weighs 200 lbs. so it should pull nice on the ice behind the ATV.

Walleye Guy...The one I got does not have power steering but does have Liquid Cooling, EFI and IRS in the back. I also liked that they changed the transmission from fluid to gear drive. I have had it out twice. I put 60 miles on it on the Soo Line South and the Red Top trails and also 60 miles on it on the ATV trails up in the Solana State Forest north of McGrath. Good luck with yours and let me know how you like it.

I have the same Triton ATV88 as kdawg and am very happy with it. You can load it from the rear or sides and there is plenty room for your trap pro. This is my fourth year with it and have no problems at all. This would be a good possibility for you.