• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pheasant Opener

So how did the opener go for everyone? I spoke with a buddy back home and he said it was cold and miserable but managed one in the short time he and his nephew were out in the rain and 40 degree temps. There are a lot of row crops still standing so better things are ahead.

I'll be heading back next weekend for a week of chasing roosters and my GSP. Can't wait!

There were lots of standing crops but our group did manage a few birds. The population is definately down. We shot very few young roosters and the young ones that we did shoot were very small and barely able to see the red on the heads. Make sure you know what you are shooting at or don't shoot at all. It was a good day out but it sure was a good feeling to get out of the wet clothes.

I didn't make it out (watched the bison loose in the dome.. grr!)

but heard that it was tough going on Saturday with the rain and all the corn

The way it's looking I'd be suprised if the Corn was off by deer hunting.. not good!

marine_man

I agree with the corn not being off the field by rifle opener. In fact, I will be very suprised if its gone in our area. Very, very wet and the corn is really behind and alot of moisture in the ear.

Where we hunt in the bottoms and with all the woods, this may not be a real big issue but for the hunters up the hill on the flat land, boy it will be a tough one for sure.

8 of us went out about 10:30 Saturday and had our 24 birds by 1p.

Sun & Sun & Tuesday were no problem for us getting our limit. The weather was rainy and about 35 degress.The birds were acting like late season birds getting up and flying away.

MInnkota

I just got back from a week out there and it was pretty tough to find a concentration of birds. A bird here and there, mixed in with a day of rain and 40 degrees which gave the dog and me a day to recover. A lot of sunflowers still standing in the area I was hunting in central ND, but they're starting to come off now and it should get better in the next few weeks. It is definitely different than last year as far as where the birds are. Talking with neighbors they also commented on not seeing as many this fall.

Birds or no birds, its always nice to be back in the home country again beating the back roads and watching the dog work.