• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

have you ever freaked out on the ice from preasure cracks noises etc

robert1965

I can't wait to hear it. Humbling but fun. I dislike stepping through a crust of thin ice worse, the kind where there is maybe a foot of good ice, some water and then an inch or two of crusty ice. Your foot goes through and you think your done until you hit the solid stuff underneath.

I can't wait to hear it. Humbling but fun. I dislike stepping through a crust of thin ice worse, the kind where there is maybe a foot of good ice, some water and then an inch or two of crusty ice. Your foot goes through and you think your done until you hit the solid stuff underneath.

When my foot goes through my pucker factor increases by 1,000 percent until I hit bottom. I dropped the front wheels of my wheeler into a sluch pocket last December and I about pinched the frame in half.

I was out on leech lake fishing a spot like 50 yards from a huge pressure ridge when we had a huge shift in the ice. There were 5 guys in the clam sleeper and we heard a boom and watched the holes dissapear as the house slid 5 feet north. Needless to say it was a record time evacutation of the ice house. We looked over and the suburban we drove out in was turned a 1/4 turn in a different direction. We decided to head in for lunch and try another spot somewhere else after that one.

The worst one I remember was off a point with the wheel house. We were getting the rattles down for the evening. Crawled into bed. Not long after doing so, there it was, the largest BOOM I have ever heard on the ice. The house shook, got are attention. We looked out the window, and the trucks were still there, but right in front of the door was a huge pressure ridge. It was so close, that we could barely get the door open enough to get out. We reeled up the rattles, cranked up the house, and move over and away from the ridge. Got a few nice eyes that night. Maybe it was a sign that we weren't in the right spot. LOL. We did have a great time though.

For the most part Im to the point where if I know Im on 4"+ cracks dont phase me but I get a kick out of watching the rookies!

The worst I can remember was on mille lacs several years ago. Sitting in the portable with my dad and a large crack must have gone within 10yds of us. When it was in the distance we figured it was a plow doing a new road but soon it seemed as if it was on a collision course and when it sounded as if it was about to barrel over us I jumped out only to see nothing and hear the crack go by. That one really made me pucker up!

2 years ago I was on a metro lake in a 2 man flip. We were on 6" or so and there was open water a hundred yards away. After fishing for a few hours we got used to the little pops and cracks that were going on. Then there was a VERY loud one, and we felt it like I never have. Looked down and we only had 2 holes left. It had moved us to the right enough that 2 of the holes were outside the house now. Got out and moved the house back over. Then we noticed a crack right down the left side that went down most of the way through the ice. We moved a little ways off just in case.