• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

have you ever freaked out on the ice from preasure cracks noises etc

robert1965

I have seen men cry, try to crawl out fishouse windows and even had one ol boy that required a change of clothes after wards. In a single booming night I may get 20 plus phone calls from anglers wanting to leave because the they are going to die. shocked When Red gets going it not only booms to beat heck but will nock you off your feet. We had one that caught me off gaurd that bounced me against the truck door pretty good.

How can you tell when it's safe and when it's not? Is it heat/coldsnap that causes it?

I was out last year on pearsons and it was quite loud. Being my car wasn't far from me I packed up and went running with my tail between my legs!

I was told by a climatologist that ice was safest when you hear that cracking because you are hearing expansion and making ice. If you don't hear noise and you are on thin ice you might just be walking on the early honeycomb ice that is sloppy and could drop you through.

To answer the question, I always get a little skittish right away. Then when I'm on that first foot I know there is little to worry about. It's like walking 1/2 mile to your deer stand in the pitch black of night...you know there is nothing to be scared of but your mind still races!

I took a friend ice fishing for his first time one night and he was leary because the ice was only about five inches thick. It was a cold night and the ice cracked right under my portable and it hopped about three inches off of the ice. He jumped up off of his chair and hit his head on the top of the portable and asked what had happened. I just told him to calm down because mother nature was making some ice. When he saw that I wasn't bothered by it he calmed back down.

The worst I ever had was a trip to LOW for a quicky walleye/sauger run between christmas and new years. The Ice was just thick enough that the resorts were running bombers for the first time and pulling fish houses with them. The ice flexing and cracking from the bombers was unreal. We had water comming out of the holes and hitting the ceiling of the portable (6feet up). My buddy decided he had had enough after grabbing the side of the house when he thought we were going in. Packed up and left. he figured it was safer at the cabin grin

I have heard the same as Da Chise- it is making ice and you are safe.

I don't think thats as bad as the idiots that think doing 50+ MPH on the ice is a great idea and you get water up your holes from the waves under the ice. Those morons oughta have their necks rung.

Red Lake last year. Went on our yearly Mancation and took some newbies with us, she barked pretty loud and in about .0000001 seconds I was the last one in the fish house. We looked around and everyone in the surrounding houses were tripping over each other trying to get out of their houses. The new guys that came with us have yet to RSVP about this years trip. laugh

Ice cracking is like granny singing you to sleep the only time I get true drool sleep is on the lake,the best thing is when you are tired cause the rattles went off every hour all night.ding ding ding can't wait.But for now I guess I'll just troll.Tuesday morn and Tuesday night on green will be hot.But I'll try sunday and monday as well.

LOTW, 15 miles out in a sleeper house. We're set up 30-40 yds from the major break, only one for 10 miles, and the sucker decides to shift on us around supper. As we watched, we could see parts of it go 5 feet or more into the air. Not to mention the water that gushed up the holes and such. Pretty cool and pretty scary at the same time.

I remember early ice fishing and watching a crack coming from behind me half way across the lake and by the time that it got to me it went right between my feet where I was standing. But that stuff doesn't bother me luckily because I probably would have ran off of that lake.

Was sitting in a dark house one time and had a crack go right across the hole. The ice opened up 2" or more. Sounded like someone let go with a 12ga inside that house not the mention the feeling I got to see the ice open up. That was unnerving to say the least!

Bob

I was ice fishing in downtown Chicago years ago on Burnham Harbor on a busy Saturday afternioon. Two young urban looking dues in their Saturday best were strolling briskly across the frozen harbor checking out the scene. Suddenly a huge pop from an ice crack resounded across the harbor. I watched the two at the instant that it hit. They were chatting up a storm and instantly stopped dead in their tracks and, as if on hinges, immediatly swung about and anxiously skittered toward shore.

When I'm spending some nights in my wheel house the booming of the ice just reassures me that the ice is getting thicker. I do have some friends that have a tendancy to sit up on their bed for a while. It kind of covers up their snoring though which makes me feel better.