Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishingWebGuy

What .22 bolt to buy?

14 posts in this topic

I'm looking to pickup a .22 bolt action in the near future and am looking for some input (opinions) on what to get.

I'll mostly use it for small game and target. I'm specifying bolt action because I will occasionally want to use subsonic rounds and I'm not sure about them and autoloaders.

Here is a list of what's important to me in a .22 (no particular order)

- inexpensive

- accurate

- easily disassembled, cleaned

- durable

- reliable

- easy to find parts or customize

- inexpensive ammo

Any ideas?

I had a Savage .22 bolt for 5yrs that I've been very happy with. I picked it up at Walmart for around $150. You can probably find used ones at Gander Mt, Joe's or Cabelas.

Outdoor Life had the Savage Mark II as the most accurate gun they have ever tested. I shoot a Marlin, SQ-880 and like it a lot. It has the bull barrel and 3-9 scope.

Thanks guys. I'll have to check the Savage out this week.

Any other input is appreciated if there are more opinions.

I bought the Savage, I believe it's the "mark 2" bolt action at Wal*mart right before they got ride of their guns, paid $104.00 for it. Very accurate and easy shooting. The only problem that I have with it is if I don't pull back fast enough on the bolt the shell will not eject outside the gun, it'll just fall into the chamber area. Then I have to tip the gun over and shake it to get it out. This has only been with the Very CHEAP ammo, like the big box on 500 rounds for $8. the more expensive ammo must be heavier or something, but that ejects fine. Mine doesn't have the accutrigger on it but I don't think you need it for a .22. Overall great rifle.

That sounds like a really good price on the Mark II. I looked at some new ones today but they were all over $350.

I'm 99.9% sure that it's a mark II. it doesn't have the accutrigger, but I like this gun. VERY accurate, We've hit a toothbrush at 75yards, I have a 3X9 scope on it. I thought I've seen them at other sporting goods store for about $140-150 or there about.

That's the same one I have bro. I'm very please with that gun. I've probably put 10k+ worth of rounds thru it and it still is as accurate as the day I bought it. I've got a Simmons 3-9X32 on mine and can get 1" at 50yrds with ease.

I have a ruger 77/22, I absolutely love it. However, I also have 10/22 (semi-auto), and I've noticed very little difference in accuracy between the two out to about 75 yards, I'd say it's maybe 1/2". both have the same 3-9x simmons and same rings. Past 75 the difference gets bigger, but who reaches out that far w/ a 22 if you're not shooting competitively?

A marlin 25 is always a nice little rifle.

Thanks everybody. I picked up the Savage Mark II today w/ synthetic stock for $150 @ Fleet Farm. Gander Mountain had the wood stock for $200.

Now I just need a range in the area to go shoot. Any recommendations in the South 'burbs?