Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HootTooten

25-06 for Yotes?

8 posts in this topic

I would like to get into this yote hunting. With out spending the $ of a smalled calliber gun. Anyone else using a Rem. 700 25-06 on the dogs? What would you suggest for a load? I am replacing the scope on it this year for a VX-II 4-12x40. I'm hopeing/thinking that 250 yards should be no poblem.

Anyother gear that is "a must have" for the new guy?

Thanks for your time and comments!

It will work fine, I load my cousin 87gr softpoints and 75gr v-max. It isn't the most fur friendly but if you want them dead that will do it. You should be able to shoot them alot farther than 250yds with your rifle. Good luck.

I have a 25-06 but can't get light loads to shoot good, but my coyote hunting buddy has a H&R 25-06 and it shoots light 75 grain v-max great. He payed under $300 for it. As far a fur damage it varys with shot place and distance. Most of the time damage isn't to bad, but we called a small male in last winter to about 15 yards and he shot it in the chest and it was messy.

That's the exact gun I have, down to the scope. It shoots extremely well with 80 gr, not sure what bullet it is as my uncle handloads 'em for me. I mostly shoot 115s since almost all i use it for is deer, but I've used it out in nebraska a little for prairie dogs, and it had no problem reaching out to 400 yards with that setup, being zeroed at 200.

Other must have gear would include a bipod or shooting sticks, it will make a long shot much easier.

Great! Suppose the true test is to just pony up and buy a couple different boxes of bullets and test them out out of MY gun. But, this gives me some ideas and a good starting point.

PEDER...gusse I'm going to buy some sticks too. Thanks!

So. Doug what bullet do you shoot then?

Ideas on a great call???

I would definately look at hornady ammo for sure. every gun I have shoots it very well.

Shooting sticks are great, just don't leave them in the car like I do once in a while......

the closed reed calls are the easiest to use and have called in many many coyotes over the years in many different situations. Open reed calls have probably called in just as many.

The circe calls are a good closed reed call, you can't go wrong with a tally ho for the open reed.

Get a video or two and watch how they are calling and what it sounds like. It is a great way to get started, at least that is how I got started.....

good luck

I shoot barnes triple shock x bullets in my ruger 25-06 and they shoots great.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I used to sip cognac with a beer and I didn't even get in to whiskeys or bourbons until 8 or 10 years ago, so as a novice I started with the Canadian blends like Crown, Tangle Ridge and Pendleton and I'm more of a sipper using the old fashioned glasses.  I can't give recommendations on any of the really good brands, but if you ever see some of this... run screaming from the bar.  
    • Catfish is right up there with walleye, perch, trout, steelhead, salmon, flounder, grouper.....
    • What does it matter what Bernie Sanders had figured out considering the DNC blatantly rigged the primary against him? And then they tried with all their might to do it again and were exposed.   Face it, you party is fueled by people who are showing that they are the very ones they claim to be fighting against.    Immoral, intolerant, violent, judgemental and full of hate. 
    • hope to have my nills by next weekend to do some testing. 6 incher. putting it with a ryobi 600 pound torque drill with 4 amp batteries. sold the clam plate and auger. friend also use it with the milwaukee drill and same hang up issue. used an 8 inch k drill on bowstring last week with the milwaukee fuel.  opened holes nice and drilled nice. 
    • Trump totally destroyed by hundreds of thousands the numbers that were in attendance for the inaugurations of LBJ and Gerald Ford. Trump again wins. Just win, win, win, win, if not pretend you did.   He may just do the same thing to the country, so don't get to excited.
    • Just drove down from the Brainerd area. Lots of snow up there but going fast. Saw 4 young guys in a ditch south of there with not much snow and one sled with hood up smoking bad. Their still learning you need snow to cool your liquid sleds!
    • What a fun election cycle, first Trump dismantles the Republican party and may take them to even lower lows by winning. Then even more surprising is the Democrats totally imploding all on their own and losing to Trump in the process. No hollywood script can compete with this kind of crazyness, just happy to be alive to witness all of this mess and hope there is much much more to come. Something tells me I won't be disappointed, I am almost excited for the next one, 4 years ago I never would have thought that in my wildest dreams.
    • If this crazy weather keeps up a guy might have to go to the mountains to have enough snow to ride.
    • I purchased a 20v 986 Dewalt brushless and used it with my Nils 8" and could not believe how fast it cut. Very close to my Tanaka motor as far as speed. My plan is to use it with my 6" Nils but wanted to give it a good test and it passed with flying colors. 
    • Pretty sure Bernie had that figured out. After the primaries I voted for "not Trump" You guys haven't picked up that liberals are still going for not Trump, even if that means Mike Pence (who from a political position standpoint is worse for liberals).   Instead you have Trump, a man incapable of taking any form of criticism regardless of how irrelevant it is to anything. Why do I post the crowd sizes? Because Trump, in a speech given only to members of the CIA, thought it was important enough to mention, as well as to have a team of his own people there to applaud when he mentioned the size of the crowds.
  • Our Sponsors