• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda Fourman

DRH1175

Oil like keeps coming on even when cold. I just changed the oil and it is right at the full line. It is not over heating. What is the problem? Bad sensor or what. Also When is the oil cooler fan suppose to come on? Thanks It is a 1997 Honda Forman 400.

I've been dealing with the same issue in my Foreman 450. My light has been coming on even when the engine is cold and oil level is perfect. My cooling fan doesn't come on as often and I have to make sure the engine temp is ok.

I changed out the oil temp sensor located on the bottom of the engine. I still have some issues, so it wasn't the complete answer. I'm still trying to troubleshoot this one. When I inquired with a Honda dealer I didn't get anywhere. May have to try again...

Is your fan working properly? I know they can get filled with mud and grit and break down over time. I don't know why that would matter with a cold engine, but it's possible the computer realizes the fan isn't working and that's its way of telling you?

My fan works properly and freely (when it occassionally turns on), but I will take your advice and look into it closer. I think it's a computer/relay/wire connection or something. Too many wires hidden inside protection sleeves makes it tough to follow wires around. If anyone has seen this, please post. smile

I am going to see if the fan works by un hooking the conections and going directly to the battery to single that out. My buddy told me about a site. Ronnies.com that has all the part drawing that the dealers use if it is help. Any other ideas about the light for us?

I tore all the plastic off the front half of the machine to get at the wires, fan, etc..

My fan checked out fine. It works great.

Since I already replaced the oil temp sensor in the crankcase (you may want to try that DRH1175) I can only think I have a wire shorting out or a bad connection somewhere.

The thing that gets me is whenever the air is moist (during/after a rain) is when I have the light come on and the fan fails to run...

I spoke to a Honda tech and they said that the issue lies in the oil sensor, faulty fan or a short in a wire. Almost all the wires are encased and wrapped in protected tubing throughout the chassis. crazy

I think I found the culprit, thanks to some help from another person after I did some further research.

There is a fan control module under the front plastic, below the handlebars (on my model). I followed wires to this module (after a dealer said it didn't exist).

I've spent a couple hours following wires, testing everything and what I found was when I grounded out my temp sensor wire to the frame, the fan and the oil light came on simutaniously. Another guy told me the fan control module is likely the issue as he's replaced a few and if you ground out that sensor wire. Not a cheap part, but I feel good the problem may be repaired sooner than I thought.

Here it is:

fanmodule.jpg