• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ladies, what do you think of this gift?

You like to hunt and so does your husband. He has hunted much longer than you have and you are just getting started.

You husband goes out and buys a brand new shotgun for duck hunting.

For your birthday, your husband gives you his old gun (still a good gun, but the gun he replaced with a new one) as a gift.

Thoughtful gift...or not?

Opinions?

Sounds kinda like my mother in law watching the movie or reading the book (and highlighting passages) before she gives it to me as a gift. If you give her something else along with it that is new (things hunting related), it may not be as bad.

Ok, so I like the shiny new things! grin

If the "husband" buys himself a new gun, why not just give her the old one. I bought myself 2 new rod/reel combos this year and gave my husband one of the old ones, I would never save it for his birthday. I do not like hand me downs for gifts on my birthday, anniversary, or Christmas. Remember women are much more sensitive creatures than men. Because I like to go out and purchase most of my own toys, I would prefer my husband give me a nice card with a note in it promising to do the laundry for a whole month or something like that. Oh yeah, he actually has to follow up on it and "get r done". My husband can come up with the strangest gifts!!! One year he gave me an old kerosene railroad lantern he saw in an antique store. Give me a break!

Why should I get the "hand me down"? If he gets a new one -I get a new one-it would always be in the back of your mind that you could shoot better-its psychological-if he doesn't want it what's wrong with it. It's like dumping cheap fishing stuff on kids and expecting them to do well and be excited about fishing.. Sell the old gun, there's a market for them too.

Hand me downs are never a gift. When you were a kid you didn't want you older brothers raggidy jeans for a birthday or christmas gift. Everyone wants something new for a gift, we may not always get something new but that is what we want.

Hope

That is what I told him...and he disagreed!

If he gives it to her and teaches her to shoot it or whatever...but not as a gift...I told him that is fine. But as a gift? No way!

He says "But it is a really nice gun and worth good money".

I told him he would be much better off to trade it in and get a new gun...even if it is not as "nice". It would still be new and it would be all hers.

He thinks I am a dope and is still going through with it....

For me, as I collect antique lures, an old lure as a gift would be nice. But, not this....

I am an antique, I don't want to surround myself with them. Just my upbringing, my entire childhood consisted of 2 furniture styles.....early Salvation Army, and late Goodwill..............

I guess it all depends on your specific point of view and how your related to the "hand me downer". I have 2 guns that were handed down to me from my Dad, the one was a 16 guage shotgun that my grandfather bought brand new sometime in the late 40's early fifties. My Dad gave me that gun for my H.S. graduation. The other was a 12 gauge that was his own that he passed down because he quit waterfowl hunting several years ago. With that said, they are two very important "gifts" that I could never forget or replace. SO it all depends on the circumstances and specific situation on how you look at a "handed down" gift! Good luck finding common ground with the hubby! grin

NOT!!

Buy & give her the "new" gun and you use your old one.

Your wife is not a "hand me down" don't treat her like one.

Think of her, not yourself.

If you do not want your old gun, go trade it in & buy two new ones. Hey a matching set!! How romantic is that!! smile

ABSOUTLY NOT!! As you can see I don't post much, I'm not an expert on most things, but this one I know. DON'T DO IT! The gun isn't good enough for him, it's not good enough for her. Give her something nice and the gun as an extra, maybe, but not the gun itself. I speak from experience.

Doesn't this fall under the category of "What's yours is mine and what's mine is yours"? I just bought my wife a brand new Browning shotgun for her birthday with absolutely no intentions of "me" ever using it. She was happy. Also, that wasn't the only thing she got, kind of a "side-show".