• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So tell me what do you say????

JigginIsLife

Anyways i have been talking about ice fishing in class and no one really understands why i love the winter so much, and i tell them i love ice fishing. If there was one place that i could be any time any where it would be ice fishing. So then the second question that comes out of thier mouth after i tell them that is " why do you like ice fishing" and i tell them its just being out there away from everything. Ice fishing can be an extreamly social event and also a solitary thing it all depends on where you wanna fish, and if you feel like an adventure. It can be a run and gun event or it can be a pick one place, drink beer and wait for the fish to find you...

Kind of an odd thread but...what do you all tell people when they ask you why you love ice fishing so much??

For me it's all about the excitement of pulling that fish through the ice. It's great to see the work that you put in and it pays off. It's great to be outside and having a fun time with friends and espcially during winter, when most people would be inside complaining of the cold grin

I know a lot of people that like ice fishing more than open water. I'm about 50/50 myself. Sandman said it best, it's about being in the outdoors year round. It's tradition, It's easy once the house is set up, just sit there and listen to the hum of the flasher. Oh MAN i can't wait now.

For me it is a multi answer question.

1. It makes the winter go by alot quicker than if you stayed indoors dreaming about warmer weather.

2. I love the feeling of standing on any body of water (ice) and fishing it without a boat.

3. It is a challenge getting fish to bite when they are more lethargic in the winter time.

4. It keeps me fishing all year round which makes me very happy.

it's solotude and getting together with freinds

it's standing on water and the puzzle of getting the fish to bite.

it's the feeling of accomplishment when you get the puzzle right

it's the cold yet warm in the porty or better yet the perm

it's being one with nature

it's far better than sitting home waiting for summer

it's fishing clamly with no bugs and not having to worry about boat control in a 20 mph wind

it's incredibly peaceful (until some jerk-bait starts a generator)

it's sitting on your couch watching satleite tv, drinking a beer, eating a pizza and waiting for the rattle reel to sound all at the same time

it's way too long to wait for ice!

I don't have to worry about

wind

rain

heat

current

large waves

trolling motor

anchors

where my bait is

if I have bait on

do I have enough gas in the boat

is the launch going to be full

no jet skis, tubers, skiers (I don't have a problem with them!)

Its just easier when you think about it?

The fact that you can go anywhere on the lake(for the most part)spending time with friends and family, catching fish, cooking in the fish house, leaving the fish house on the lake and being able to drive right to it. Ability to go hole hopping to stay on fish if you want. Itdefinitely is a great activity that you have to experience to understand.

When asked why I love ice fishing an then ask, first tell me why you love to do what you do, one guy love golf an just could'nt wait till spring, an I asked why? he said on any given day I can have the worst game an then I hit it, that one swing when everything is perfect an I put it right where I want it, that's what keeps me golfing. Same thing I said, ya just never know how many or how big a fish is till that bobber gose down, you can have the worst day of icefishing but when that bobber gose down or the rattle reel starts to tick or you flasher lights up like a x-mas tree, an kids are screaming dad I got one! Man Thats just the best ever. Boar

It gets me away from the hustle and bustle of everything during the "cold months." Plus, I can remember catching certain fish through the ice more than during the open water. IMO, it's funner to bring a cat in through the ice than during open water.

Also, you get to walk on water!

Because....if I couldn't fish for 6 1/2 months, I would go insane.

Because....cabin fever is for non-fisherman.

Because....there is no such thing as The Bikini Couch Potato Team.

Because....whomever asks me why I love ice-fishing...(Ah..Duh), will not be on the ice to ask me more stupid questions.

For me it is real simple.....i am a video game junkie, and a fishing freak! And ice fishing is the perfect blend of both! I tell people all the time that Vexilar is the greatest video game I have ever played! People that read this know what I am talking about when a red blob all of the sudden comes off the bottom and starts making its way to your lure...OH BOY!!!!

And it gives the term "FLAG UP!" a whole new heartbeat. A tip up flag in the air is one of the prettiest sights ever!!!!