• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chomping/Tearing at Bird

WildFan10

My 6 1/2 month old Brit is crazy about birds. So much so that she likes to try and "kill" the bird before actually bringing it back. She is more concerned with biting at the feathers than anything. This is frustrating to me because she will retrieve dummies very well, and pretty much always brings them right to me. The trainer I bought her from said to keep her on check cord and reel her in when she is chomping on the bird. I am doing that. He said that habit should stop when she gets the idea of coming back with it. I have some frozen pigeons/chuckers to throw for her but they won't last long at this point. Any other suggestions besides a check chord? She is crazy about finding the bird, just need to work on bringing it back in one piece. I have heard that mastering the hold command with a 2 X 2, then moving to a frozen bird might do it too. Any other thoughts/suggestions? Thanks guys.

Might as well kill two birds with this one stone.

Get him to take anything gently.

I don't give treats or use them for positive reinforcement but hay, if I'm on a long hunt and give the dog part of my sandwich I don't want him to snap for it.

Put him on his handling bench secured up short.

He should be able to be touched every where and accustomed to your hands in his mouth.

Make the offering something he'll really be hot for like a 1" piece of liver.

As you bring it to him be ready for him to snap for it. Pull it away, tap on the chin and tell him "nice".

Repeat till he takes it gently.

New sessions repeated till its mastered.

New exercise and session on bench and secured up short.

Now use the training dummy. If he snaps use your word "nice".

Make him hold, remove, then praise.

Same session use the bird but before you offer it to him settle him down. This exercise you don't want him to fail.

If he snaps for it use your word.

Repeat till he takes the bird gently.

Keep the hold, remove and praise.

Repeat with multiple sessions and remember to calm him before you offer the bird.

New Exercise and Session.

On the bench and secured up short.

Verbally get him excited with the bird.

Offer the bird, if he snaps pull it away and use your word.

Just like the above the sessions and exercises repeat till hes mastered it.