• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Four more - different environment

Headed back with friend at 7:30 this morning. Got to the locale and didn't see them. Worry set in - for about 5 seconds. They were on their way back, presumably from their roosting site. We timed it perfectly. TRhey flew over the SUV and landed exactly where they seem to always land. We didn't have the sun, but the light worked out just fine. After a few shots from the same spot, where my friend took a bunch of shots, they then flew off about 100 yards away. This was much better surroundings. We had fun.

I just read where these are the largest birds in North America, standing over five feet tall, and also one of the rarest birds. These Whooping Cranes are on the endangered list and there were reputed to be just 340 wild ones, in all of North America, 1 1/2 years ago. I feel quite fortunate to have taken photos of 1% of the continents only wild ones.

2926693633_a0bc2cef1d_o.jpg

2927554634_ffd02a118b_o.jpg

2927549774_53ecfc81d7_o.jpg

2926742745_dd9f2edbf5_o.jpg

Mike, what a find. You better be buying you friend a steak for turning you on to these birds. Your shots are all great. Mine would be blurry from shaking so bad, just like looking at that 30 point buck.

On another note, it's a shame that all these birds need to be banded just to keep track of there demise. The continuing draining of wetlands will not help this species. They need large area's of marsh land along there migration routes, and alot of hunter identification intruction to keep them safe. I think two years ago a couple got shot in Iowa, and the boy's only got a slap on the wrist. Ok, I've ranted but that's because I've been deprived of seeing one of these great birds. That's why I'm glad you shared.

Mic

Nice images again, Mike. I really like that last one. Kind of like he's playing hide and seek. smile

I used the mouse squeaker on him. I knew he was below the hill and really wanted a shot of just his head and neck, behind the hill.

Hmmm, I wonder where I got the idea for the mouse squeaker. grin