• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PWT Coming to Hudson

fishinlocal

Thats ok for $375 Ill pass anyways. Im not Anti Tournament but prices like that are what make the average Joe a non participant in these events and those with $ are the only ones who can afford to do them these days.

Or those who are lucky enough to be able to find a sponsor(s).

I think of it as a vacation and for 3 full days of fishing with an expert $375 is cheap! Plus, the amateur prizes are all valued from $170 - $1795. I got in early on this one when the dates and places were announced.

So you just sign up, pay the fee and you get assigned to a pro?

Does your catch help the pro? I assume it does... ehhe im not quite sure how this work...just trying to get an idea.

what if you suck and can't catch fish like me? hahaha...

So you just sign up, pay the fee and you get assigned to a pro?

Does your catch help the pro? I assume it does... ehhe im not quite sure how this work...just trying to get an idea.

what if you suck and can't catch fish like me? hahaha...

There is a rules meeting on Tues night and each amateur is assigned a different Pro each of the three days. The Pro and amateur work together each day to bring in the best 5 fish. Those 5 fish count for the amateurs daily score and the Pro's daily score so yes you work together. So the amateur will have 3 days with 3 Pro's and 3 days of 5 fish.....hopefully :-)

does anyone know if anyone can go and watch the weigh-in's? I also am wondering if they are having any activities that I could bring my daughter to
Bigwades...There is a kids fishing event that will take place Sunday afternoon from 2 til 4.Turk,Shale and myself will be among the boats taking people out.Im not sure how to get signed up to go out but it may be worth showing up at the Hudson park and check things out.

Originally Posted By: BigWadeS
does anyone know if anyone can go and watch the weigh-in's? I also am wondering if they are having any activities that I could bring my daughter to
Bigwades...There is a kids fishing event that will take place Sunday afternoon from 2 til 4.Turk,Shale and myself will be among the boats taking people out.Im not sure how to get signed up to go out but it may be worth showing up at the Hudson park and check things out.

them sheep are good eatin, just make sure you cut out the mudline.....

What an AWESOME tournament with perfect fall weather. The bite was tough but big fish were found and caught. I ended up taking 2nd place on the amateur side losing by 2lbs.

Day 1 was with Super pro Ernie Olson from Foley, MN. Ernie was one of the most consistent fisherman at the tournament as he brought in a limit of 5 fish each day and ended 16th in the tournament on the Pro side. He showed me some tricks to reeling a fish in and also introduced me to dragging lead core lines with rattle traps. Ernie and I brought in 5 fish with a total weight of 10.45 lbs. I learned from Ernie how to reel a fish in consistently by picking a speed and keep that speed the entire time you reel them up, unless the fish surfaces. If that fish surfaces oyou should reel it in as fast as possible to keep them from flopping, diving, jumping and spitting the hook out. It worked great for every fish we caught.

Day 2 I fished with Super FLW Pro Nick Johnson from Elmowood, WI. Nick grew up fishing around the Red Wing area and knows the river like the back of his hand. We fished hard all day long pitching hair jigs into rip rap and wing dams. He had a specific method that attracted those big boys and girls and we ended up with 21.12 lbs of fish with a 9lber, 7lber and 2 2.5 lbers. We had 4 Walleye's in the boat that day and weighed all four of them. This day put Nick in the lead on the Pro side. I learned fromNick how to fish with braided line and not setting the hook so hard. He explained it to me this way, "If you put a rattle trap in your hand and squeeze it as tight as possible and have someone continuously set the hook are the hooks going to set in your hand....NO!" This is what happens to begin with when a fish takes a hol dof your bait, it is the moment they start to open there mouth to get rid of it when you need to set the hook and at that point the hook with almost set itself (if you have good hooks). He said it takes tons of pratices to know when this moment is but he claims he can feel it.

Day 3 I fished with legendary "Jiggmeister" Daryl Christensen and he was such a nice guy. Daryl had struggled all tournament with only weighing in 1 fish in the first two days. He found out I was in 2nd place coming into day 3 and wanted to get me the win even though he needed to pre-fish for the final top 50 tournament the next day. He really is the "Jiggmesiter" and we ended up boating 2 Eyes and 1 Sauger that we weighed in for a total of 6.54 lbs. We came up about 2lbs short of taking the win on the amateur side but I did get second. Daryl just knows how to fish, I learned from him how to feel the fish with power braid as heis a PowerPro guy. No mono leader, not needed. The feel of braided line is so sensitive and you can feel everything if you really pay attention to your line and pole. He showed me how to effectively fish two poles and to always have different presentations on each pole unless you have pinpointed exactly what they are looking for.

There are definitely different methods between all the Pro's but what is consistent is their persistence and adaptation to current situations. These guys make you want to fish for a living and are all about teaching anyone how to do it (that is until you become a Pro like them :-) )

I learned tremendously from this tournament about technique, persistence, and reading sonar. I recommend to anyone who ever has a chance to be in something like this whether it be bass, walleye or other, to not think twice about it. These guys are the Pro's in their profession and they know what they are doing. I had a great time and fished with some great guys!

Also, if anyone is in need of a 50lb thrust Minn Kota PD V2, I havea brand new one sitting in my garage in the box looking for a home, also I have a $1500 Mercury rebate looking for use. Let me know.

Fishlocal, I to was in the tourny as a co-angler and I agree it was well worth it. This was my first one and it is to bad this will be last one for the PWT. There is no question if there was to be a 2009 I would be in on all of them. Every one of the pro's I had were just great people and from each one I learned something I did not know before. Not major breakthroughs just little things that can mean the difference between being "in the money" or not. I also fished with Ernie (good guy) and one day was with one of the pro's that had a shot for angler on the year. I even felt the pressure! Of all the things I learned I would have to say the # 1 would be persistence. These guys (and one gal) never let up. If they are on the water they are fishing Hard.

And for a long time fisherman to be able to listen to Ron and Al linder talk about the past and the future on tourny fishing at the rules meeting was to me special.