• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone have trouble with sportdog collars?

countryboy9799

I picked up a sportdog SD400 collar about 3 weeks ago, the range is supposed to be 400 yards and I could only get about 30 out of it so I exchanged it for another one and this was about the same. I called sportdog and they mailed a new transmitter right away. I haven't had a chance to test this one out completely yet but it looks like the range is under 100 yards.

Just looking to see if anyone else has problems with theirs and if I should be looking at a different brand. Thanks

Scott

I've never had any problems with mine. I've got the 800, but my dog rarely gets more than 50yds away. He's not a pointer and he likes to stay close. Only reason I went with the 800 is the price was the same for me and I figured why not.

I had the same problem with my SD400. I haven't been able to test the full range with the new one either but it works better. My dog usually doesn't get out too far so I hope it will work for me, but I wish I would have spent the extra money to get something else.

I had one that had the same problem and sent it back. The new one also had the same problem, sent it back. This hapened about 4 to 5 times then they tried to tell me that I was stupid and using it wrong. I have had 3 dogs and 3 different collars and this is the worst one I have ever owned. They did finaly give my money back and admit they are selling junk from China. I went with Dogtra after that and they are great.

Duke

After hearing this I will be exchanging it. I had one about 5 years ago and had nothing but good to say about it, I lost my dog in an auto accident so I ended up selling it. I think it got at least 300 yards. They really shouldnt be selling them and advertising 400 yards and only getting 30.

I see the dogtra 280 is highly recommended, whats a good place to get one? Thanks guys.

I had the same problem with my SD400 too. 30 - 40 yards tops. They sent me a new transmitter - same [PoorWordUsage]. Gave it to a buddy who live in town to use and bought a Tri-Tronics off Collar Clinic.

I had the same issue with my sportdog collar last year.... Would not transmit through heavy cover like cattails... Got rid of it and went to a Dogtra 1700 NCP.... It has been terrific... The kennel where I train my dog also uses and recommends the Dogtra brand... they use on all of their dogs with their guiding service in South Dakota.

You can buy online through a number of sources.... Just google Dogtra ecollars...

Also, the major sporting goods stores like Cabella's, Sportsmans Warehouse, and Gander Mountain all handle them...

I ended up exchanging it for the dogtra 2500. More money than I wanted to spend but am happy with it. I haven't checked the real long distance range but I know it works 300 yards for sure and that is more than I need anyways. I really like the locate button on it, real nice for finding your dog when it gets dark.

I don't have any experience with the sd400, but I've had my Sporthunter 1800 for more than 3 years now and it has worked as advertised.

The sportdog sd400 is a $160 collar. It may be the cheapest collar Sportdog sells. The Dogtra 2500 is $350 collar. Your comparing apples and oranges.

Your comparing apples and oranges.

My opinion is I am comparing something that works and something that doesnt work. I had a SD400 about 3 or 4 years ago and it worked great, lost my dog and didnt know when I was going to get another one so I sold it. After buying one, then exchanging it and calling sportdog to have them send a transmitter for that one and it still doesnt work I am not impressed.

Then after reading 5 other posts of identical experiences that sums it up for me.

Scott

The sd400 is a low power short range unit. I personally would never consider this unit for hunting situations. It’s a yard trainer and nothing more. Having said that, this collar may work in some hunting situations, but it would be very limited. The effective range of an e-collar depends on many things. To obtain the max range from any collar I would imagine you would need a clear line of sight to your dog. The collar I use is advertised with a range of ¾ of a mile, but I bet I’d be lucky to get a 1/3 of that range hunting grouse in northern Minnesota.

I would keep communicating with Sportdogs customer service. Let them know you’re very dissatisfied with the performance of the sd400. I’m sure given the chance they would want to rectify the situation.

They did finaly give my money back and admit they are selling junk from China. I went with Dogtra after that and they are great.

Duke

I believe Tri-Tronics is the only collar still made in the US. Dogtra is made in Korea.

When I was looking at purchasing a collar I talked with the salesman. I asked the difference between the Dogtra, tri-tronics, and Sportdog collars. His response was "are you a ford or chevy guy?" You can't compare the SD400 with any other models because the other companies don't offer that low of a model...ie the SD400 is the economic model. You get what you pay for.

I ended up getting the SD1800 on chance at the Pheasants Forever banquet on a raffle. I am very happy with it, however I am lucky enough to have a puppy who doesn't run 300 yds ahead of me.

I have the SD2000 Wetland(?) model. It has had its fair share of issues, but SportDog has been absolutely fantastic. I bought my original collar back in 2005, and after a year or so, it quit working. A 5 minute phone call to the company got a new one sent out, and I think it was there in 2 days. Last Friday I had another issue with that replacement collar so I called them again. We went through some troubleshooting, pulled the collar apart and after 15 minutes or so he asked for my address and on Tuesday I had a brand new collar. I couldn't be happier with their service.